Taiwan on 2 Wheels

Just stumbled across this website via IG, about a bunch of peeps doing around island. Fancy website! And I remember the Hayden guy from Masterchef Australia :smile:

1 Like

Wow…this might take some time to actually read through.

Thanks for the find.

Just from skimming it, the website is well put together.

Ok, I went back in to take a thorough look at this website and it’s something I wish I came up with…or contributed to

If you click on the suggested route on the right, it expands and reveals scenic picture spots and rest stops. The rest stops is extremely helpful if you’re on a self supported tour. You tend to encounter countless 7-11s, but in roads between Chiayi -->Tainan → Kaohsiung, you’re a bit limited with choices if you’re not riding straight through city or town centers.

The hashtags on the scenic spot description goes straight to a Instagram hashtag page and that there is pretty damn useful. You know where the scenic spot is on the route AND you can check pics to see what it’s like to decide whether it’s worth a stop or detour.

Despite the terrain chart looking a bit weird it takes a few seconds to understand, but still very informational.

They also touch up on preparing for the journey, tour companies you can contact and also some cycling events going around the island throughout the year.

It’s really a one stop shop for anyone visiting and planning to do the round the island tour.

I’m not one to look at how professional the writing is like, since I’m not pro like @the_bear , but it seems like Fox Sports and Taiwan Tourism Bureau hired the right people to create content for this website. I know if I ever needed to do any research for my tour…whenever I choose to do it, I’ll be using this website as a reference.

Only downside I see is not being able to download the Google Maps route and save it to my phone.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s quite impressive. Must have cost quite a lot of money. Bit odd seeing Owain Doull in there.

Also this doesn’t seem to have been promoted much.

1 Like

He did nothing remotely close to a round the island tour. I believe he did the Jinshan classic via FGZ then up Yang Jing.

Yeah, @Liub found it via Instagram of all places.

If it came from a certain news source we all love, we may have second opinions.

Yep, it is really nice. I did a piece about it…months ago.

Problem with teh Bureau of Tourism is that it really finds it hard to market anything that is not CKS/Palace Museum etc. out of Taipei/it’s own little world.

Where can one promote this? Bike Show?

Across all the myriad cycling websites, blogs etc. Asia travel websites/blogs etc.

Instagram cycling girls is a good way to get the word out. They’re all about 網紅.

Collaboration between known international or local cycling brands is an option too. Giant is actually listed as an option for tours, I don’t see why they can’t help to promote it in their shops or social media outlets.

Invest in Google ads then?

Now to convince the old school people at the Tourism Bureau of why they have to pay for Internet…

Thing is that usually a government project is not followed up, no matter the cost. Each bos wants their name on it, give sthem face and allows them to rise among the ranks. Pity it hence sinks good stuff like this.

Well…it’s technically a Fox Sports project isn’t it? It appears first on the top left of the page and it’s the main link at the bottom of the page with Tourism Bureau as a “suggested” link.

Maybe there’s hope aftera all since Fox Sports might not have bureaucratic bs that the Tourism Bureau has?

Mind linking us up to your piece? Still on the interwebs?

:sob:

:sweat_smile: