Taiwan passport and Philippine passport holder

hello there. i hope someone here can help me.

my grandmother have taiwan passport without taiwan id because she is residing here in the philippines.
ph passport holders needs taiwan visa to enter taiwan, she wants to visit her brother in taiwan.

my questions are:

1. which passport should she use in leaving ph entering taiwan, and leaving taiwan and entering ph?
  2. does she need taiwan visa?

i can’t find anything even on teco website.
please help thanks :slight_smile:

Can you clarify a few things before I or anybody else can give you an intelligent answer:

1. Is your grandmother holding both Philippine passport and R.O.C. (Taiwan) passport?
  2. Is your grandmother’s Taiwan passport issued by TECO Manila?
  3. Is your grandmother a natural born Philippine citizen or was it acquired (naturalized)?

Your grandmother needs to get Taiwan visa using either or both Taiwan or Philippine passport. Using Taiwan passport, she can get a Taiwan visitor visa for free. Using Philippine passport to get Taiwan visitor visa, she will have to pay Pesos 2,400 (if my memory serves me right).

I need your answers on the above before I can give you a correct answer as Philippines doesn’t recognized dual citizenship for its naturalized citizens but will recognized dual citizenship for its natural born citizens.

Hope this helps you.

1. She holds both Taiwan and Philippine passport.
  2. Issued by TECO Manila.
  3. I am not sure with this, I will guess naturalized.
    She was born and raised here in the Philippines in 1939, I believe the law that time was citizenship by blood not where she was born, both her parents are Chinese so she wasn’t given Filipino citizenship as natural born.

Using the Taiwan passport to get visitor visa, are there any requirements?

[quote=“ivyjean”]1. She holds both Taiwan and Philippine passport.
2. Issued by TECO Manila.
3. I am not sure with this, I will guess naturalized.
She was born and raised here in the Philippines in 1939, I believe the law that time was citizenship by blood not where she was born, both her parents are Chinese so she wasn’t given Filipino citizenship as natural born.

Using the Taiwan passport to get visitor visa, are there any requirements?

TECO in Manila can tell you what the requirements are. You need to contact them.

I maybe late with answering your query but I hope it will give light to others who have similar issues. We hoped we knew this process when we got our Taiwan ROC passports 2 years ago but oh well better late than never.

I am answering your questions backwards. :smiley:

2. does she need taiwan visa?

Yes. If you are a Taiwan ROC passport holder what you need to apply for is the entry/exit permit visa from TECO Philippines, which is at Window 10. Get a number from the guard outside the room! Requirements would be an NSO birth certificate and a filled-up entry/exit form with pictures. There is no charge for this, gratis yey! Validity of permit is 6 months and maximum stay would be 3 months. They will take your Taiwan ROC passport since it is where they are going to stick your permit. Processing time would be 4 working days.

1. which passport should she use in leaving ph entering taiwan, and leaving taiwan and entering ph?

Bring both of your passports. Show only the Taiwan ROC passport and then show your Philippine passport when asked. The Philippines Immigration officer stamped our Taiwan ROC passport because that is where our visa is but the officer also asked for our Philippine passports probably as proofs that we legally stayed in the Philippines and not as illegal immigrants(?). When we reached Taiwan airport, we just showed them our Taiwan ROC passports as well and they didn’t ask for our Philippine passports. They scanned the bar code on the permit and then stamped it with the date of our arrival.

Hope that helps! :wink:

First off, if your grandma was a naturalized Philippine citizen, she should have renunciated her Taiwan citizenship and should not be holding a Taiwan passport. Philippine law does not allow a naturalized Filipino citizen to become a dual passport holder. Therefore, your grandma should stick with her Philippine passport and apply for a Taiwan visa instead. This is to avoid problems once she passes through immigration. Philippine immigration requires all Filipino citizens to have a valid visa to their destination before they are allowed to leave. . If the immigration officer realizes that your grandma does not have a Taiwan visa on her Philippine passport, she will then be forced to show the officer her Taiwan passport. If she does, then she risks getting her Philippine passport confiscated.

Dual citizenship in the Philippines is only allowed for natural born Filipinos.

There is no problem if your grandma enters Taiwan with a Taiwan passport. The problem is if she will have issues when she tries to leave Philippines without a valid Taiwan visa on her Philippine passport. :ponder: