I went to visit TECO NY yesterday to inquire how to get my 2 US born kids Taiwan passports. (I want to move to Taiwan early next year for the kids to attend school for a few years). I spent an hour and a half talking to them along with my parents and the entire process seem so complicated to me. If anyone’s been through similar process, please let me know if this sounds correct or if there is anything I may be missing.
Instead of a resident visa and ARC for my kids, I’ve decided to apply for Taiwanese passports for them. At first I thought the passport process might be too complicated, but I think overall it is easiest which allows us to stay long term and come in and out of the country. For the resident visa and ARC, I would have to check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ office (BOCA?) each time I want to leave Taiwan whether or not I can return… depending on what kind of Visa they gave me whether it is single or multiple entry. So, to apply for a passport these are the steps I need to take.
- Both me and my husband need to have an up to date Taiwan passport. (We were both born in Taiwan… just have expired Taiwanese passports)
- Translated marriage certificate, translated kid’s birth certificate and sealed health checkup reports for my kids. Health check up forms need to be sealed with doctor’s office stamp or signature in back on an official envelope from doc’s office.
- Bring the above three documents to TECO NY for them to verify and stamp. It should be returned to me in a week.
- Bring these three documents to Taiwan. There is a 30 or 60 day expiration for these documents. If I don’t go to Taiwan within the allowed time, my verified documents will expire and be of no use.
- My husband and I will go to Taiwan using the Taiwan Passport and my kids will use their American Passport.
- Once in Taiwan, the first thing I need to do is “activate” my registration? I’m guessing this is the Hukou?
- Second thing to do is go register my marriage in Taiwan using the verified document from TECO.
- After steps 6 and 7, go apply for Taiwan passport for my kids and get it within a few weeks.
Does anyone know what is the average turn around time for getting a Taiwan passport when in Taiwan?
I’m a little nervous because I am basically going to Taiwan “unprepared”. I am assuming the kids will get their passports and be allowed to attend school.
Also, does anyone know what is the age for boys to be drafted? Since my son will hold a Taiwan passport, at what age would they not allow him to leave the country?
Please let me know your past experiences, thoughts, comments or suggestions. thanks.