Taiwan Politics help!

So I have a paper on Taiwan politics. I chose a topic of how the change in Taiwan presidency affected the relationship with Mainland China. Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated!

What kind of paper? High school? Uni? How long?

here is one possible theme: Will Ma Ying-jeou’s attempt to engage China produce positive results for Taiwan or just end up making China think Taiwan is weak?

Editorial writer for the Taipei Times are ya?

Since Ma took office, relations with China has never been closer, while cross-straight tension and chances of conflict has never been lower. 'Nuff said.

:laughing: Um, that’s kind of a big topic if you don’t know anything about it! Are you looking for a precis of the salient facts or just a few soundbites?

Yes, of course. Except relations with Japan and the US are wobbly, to say nothing of the domestic tension resulting from a government pursuing a course at odds with the spirit of the times. But as an authoritarian at heart you can dismiss the latter concern. Heads smashed, police intimidation, right restrictions and all the other traditonal methods Chinese use to maintain a harmonious society will see that smoothed over right smart and quick. :cactus:

No I’m not an editorialist for the Taipei Times. My God man! How can you say such a thing? Have you no decency?!

I think it’s a valid question. If Ma is successful, then good for him and good for all of us. But it’s far to early to judge the real results of his policies. It’s an interesting idea for a paper that can look at what both sides are saying and then the author can slant the way s/he wishes,or stay neutral. Waz rong wi dat?

You can write a brief history about the two sides.
The deep hatred between the two parties
The issues that causes tensions between the two parties
You can write what each party is for or against and how the populous feels about it (for example, most people just wants to leave it at the status quo which is one of the contributing factors as to why Ma won the election)
Or you can go into corruption and I’m not talking about the former president, but the control/influence the KMT has over the judicial branch and the law enforcement agencies. From this you can write about the forbidden topic, The Bamboo Gang, it was once used as a KMT secret police force in Taiwan and it is now one of the most powerful organizations in the world. Careful what you say though, they murdered a journalist in the USA who was writing about them.
So its kind of ironic how the KMT portray DPP members as thugs and low-lives when they themselves uses an organized crime organization to do their bidding.

It’s a seven to ten page paper. There is a lot on the historical part that research will take care of, but very little books obviously have the most recent updates about the change in presidency and effects of the citizens both in Taiwan and Mainland. Thanks for the help so far!

Its subjective, China looks at in one way, in Taiwan there is DPP and KMT and all kind of factions that have their own take. Even in the US there are different takes on what is going on.

Perhaps focus on the absolutes, China is less of a threat, Taiwan is more under the control of China, America doesn’t give a shit, less chance for Taiwan’s autonomy, more draconian policies and so on.

I would say just quote my posts. It’s aces… :slight_smile:

I don’t think they have an “ace of monkey poo”, AC.

Well you know civilized Taiwanese of WSR blood in Taiwan, rarely refer to monkey poo.

What’s with latent racism and anger in your post recently. Lashing out at posters that don’t even post anymore. You need a break, not everyone can keep pace with the legendary AC… :laughing:

So heres my essay outling. 3 topics taht I want to compare and contrast between chen shui bian vs. ma ying jeou

1. direct transportation across strait
  2. economic achievement between taipei and beijing
  3. overall political peace between mainland and taiwan

suggestions?!

Kids do essays like this, these days?

It looks like a very one sided list. At least there should be

1. Contrast in China policies. Chen demanding a relationships on a country to country basis, with Ma engaging China with one china different interpretations.

[quote=“sp3cialed”]So heres my essay outling. 3 topics taht I want to compare and contrast between chen shui bian vs. ma ying jeou

1. direct transportation across strait
  2. economic achievement between taipei and beijing
  3. overall political peace between mainland and taiwan

suggestions?![/quote]
I think one needs to start with LTH and the 1992 consensus. Because fundimentally you are trying to describe ROC and PRC economic cooperation in terms of “2 China issue.” More specifically how the KMT is able to reinvent their platform to work around the “2 China issue” and how the DPP are hindered by the “2 China issue.”

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
I think one needs to start with LTH and the 1992 consensus. Because fundimentally you are trying to describe ROC and PRC economic cooperation in terms of “2 China issue.” More specifically how the KMT is able to reinvent their platform to work around the “2 China issue” and how the DPP are hindered by the “2 China issue.”[/quote]

Ac to the rescue, and I accept my point is actually the central point from which all other bullet points derive. Not the 1992 consensus, to suggest such is to acknowledge the 1992 consensus is based in reality.

China policy.

I was hoping some of the DPP guys would save me the trouble of bullet pointing their side, since im not used to arguing the DPP side. It seems they have enough support from the foreign community already.