Taiwan population decline

That’s just silly. If anything we should check the representation of foreigners, naturalized citizens, and minorities in government and academia.

I don’t think any country does that well. Perhaps the US?

Exactly. I personally won’t be able to differentiate east Asians and SEA people to Taiwanese. Checking their taxi driver id is useless, because they will probably use/take a Chinese name.

There are 800 Indian nationals working for academia Sinica.

1 Like

That is interesting. First time I heard about that. I assume it counts all of the graduate students too.

Could you share the source of the stats? Would be useful for future arguments on this forum.

Sure.

1 Like

If the parents didn’t raise twats the children could think for themselves and divide the assets equally regardless of the parents’ wishes.

1 Like

Why do that when you can pay a charlatan for good luck.

Well, that was a waste of time, kinda boring. Anyways the comment about more than 800 Indian scholars working in Academia Sinica is around 19:20.

Also they are sponsored by the Indian government. That part was left out. :joy:

3 Likes

Was it mentioned in the Indian news? I get they probably inflated the numbers somewhat by including phds and possibly masters. But still that’s a lot.

But that Joseph Wu guy saying that it’s the largest Indian academic community overseas is just ridiculous.

Let’s just hope they can start making local grandparents happy with mixed race babies and turn around the population decline!

2 Likes

Could be largest working for a foreign government.

Maybe people need to stop calling mixed race babies/kids. I wouldn’t even call mixed ethnicity if they are born and live in Taiwan.

1 Like

Maybe i was referring to this and the post before it

1 Like

You wouldn’t?

1 Like

They are Taiwanese for me. If I have kids in Taiwan, they will be Taiwanese, Why call it mixed? or talk about race when there isn’t any race at all. Humans have been moving around for ever.

4 Likes

Of course they are Taiwanese. But that doesn’t mean they can’t come from different ethnic backgrounds.

1 Like

Humans have also been dumping things into ‘close enough’ categories forever as well. Sometimes with good reasons (get that sunscreen, whitey). I agree race is a mostly dead end concept, as we are all human, but there is a lot of genetic diversity. I have some neanderthal genes but no denisovan, most people born in Taiwan will be the opposite

The point is, the locals will need to embrace diversity if they don’t want rhe population to age out of control. From my perspective, Africans and Indians are just as good as anyone else. Wonder if the locals generally have a preference for their mixed babies, I do…

Okay, I guess yes but it depends if the kid gets interested too. The grandfather of my father was German and nobody actually cared.

Also, this.

1 Like

That article is worth reading, but it’s not referring to the vast labour pool working—including the aforementioned Indians—at AS. It’s referring to the granting of the title of an academician (a very high honour!), that has—unsurprisingly, given the ROC’s faux blood-based past—always been restricted to the so-called Chinese race.

What they are proposing now is you need to have ROC citizenship too, presumably to . . . really I have no idea.

How about renaming the place Academia Taiwanica, and then ditching the blood line stuff?

Guy