Taiwan population decline

You mean students and postgrads I assume.
How many Indian profs are there?

1 Like

I met the first guy that broke through Taiwan’s bamboo ceiling—one of Taiwan’s substantial number of Tamils doing research in our unis—to be hired as an assistant prof. It was at National Taiwan University of Technology in Gongguan. The department tried to (re-)hire him as a postdoc (the usual bamboo ceiling move), and when the university president saw this guy’s file, and where he was publishing, he said that’s nuts he needs to be made a faculty member and hired as an assistant professor.

Good on him for making this happen. I hope there will be more.

Guy

13 Likes

this is a conundrum to all East Asian societies, from Japan to HK passing through Korea and Mainland China. Some countries, like Japan, realised the hit and are (very slowly) acting on it. You are seeing many more immigrants there, especially Nepalis, doing some jobs JP people either don’t to do anymore or simply not anymore supply of them. HK was always an exception, a very immigrant society, albeit changing now. There was always a fresh supply of skilled and unskilled immigrants coming in, so even if the population has a very significant proportion of elders, the system was somehow sustainable (with some terrible problems for sure given the lack of space and costs, but still faring better than comparable jurisdictions). Mainland China will take the worst hit for sure, given their population policy, the unaffordability of having kinds and the general underground turmoil of the society, lying flat will really become the norm. Taiwan should learn from Japan in realising the check is due, population is declining and the baby boomers pensions will be costly, so they should really start a serious immigration policy and implement family support programmes, which are nearly non-existent. Damn, will marry next year, and even if we both have very good salaries, and her family is comfortable, still scared of the costs of raising kids here. Private school, especially international ones, are out-of-the-world expensive, almost at par with HK ones. Anyways, that’s it. If you lower the costs of having kids, and let immigrants to come and work and also settle and integrate into the society, it’s a win-win. But, it is so much easier said than done. Old high echelons of Tw politics are still quite racist towards most of people, as they are in Japan and Korea, they want to either protect the homogeneity of the society or the harmony of the country, just look at how difficult it is to achieve either permanent residency or naturalisation in all of these countries. And although the younger generations are somewhat more open, they are a bit far from being multi-culturally welcoming. That’s my 2 cent.

4 Likes

PR in Taiwan is super easy.

For white collar workers yes, for blue collar migrant workers, quite not.

2 Likes

Academia Sinica is not a university. I don’t know how one can be a prof.

This is backwards. Taiwan has had large numbers of migrant workers since the 90s. Japan is only recently starting to let them in quietly.

Pensions are pay as you go so Taiwan increases the quota of migrant workers piecemeal as needed.

Migrant, by its definition, doea not mean “doing the jobs shunned by the locals for very little pay”.

It is remarkable that the visas also have that distinction, effectively attempting to re-define the word.

But then, this is the land where we say what we don;t mean, and mean what we don’t say :laughing:

2 Likes

They publish how there are so many indians in sinica as something to be proud of. Most dont know about this but in many schools and universities here indians are present in majority of tech labs and working for professors who either dont give them salary for their work for months or very less but uses their work to publich papers in their own names.

4 Likes

I don’t understand the point of your post.

AS has an equivalent faculty ladder: Assistant Research Fellows, Associate Research Fellows, Research Fellows, Distinguished Research Fellows, etc.

Guy

2 Likes

His point wasn’t so much that that’s something to be proud of, but that relations with NSB counties are great.

Sounds pretty similar to how profs in the sciences here treat local grad students. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

My post was in response to this, in full context.

The claim thereon in (let me know if my interpreration is out of line): Taiwan is better than Japan, they have had migrants for longer.

If migrants cannot participate fully and freely like other locals in the market, but are relegated to a sub-class, that statement is disingenuous. In Taiwan the term ‘migrant’ seems reserved for Filipinos, Vietnamese and Indonesians whose residency has an upper limit.

4 Likes

12 years, i was told recently

Migration is temporary, immigration is permanent

2 Likes

Is it though? This is a strategic move by India to reestablish their tech industry.

Quite. And in practice it refers to those who do not have permanent residency. However we rarely see Westerners and Africans referred to as such in the news, regardless of status. Which is why I said Taiwan English redefines words in a misleading manner.

1 Like

Agreed but just as a reminder some can now get pr and citizenship. Government’s goal is to retain 15-20 percent IIRC.

Which is a recent step in the right direction.

1 Like

That’s still a step up from not letting them come and make more money than in their home country, like in the USA and worse yet, Europe, does.

Taiwan should be treating migrants better, but completely shutting them out of the labor market is much worse.