Taiwan population decline

US and Europe both allow migrant workers

Which neither the US nor the EU do

If I recall, the discussion was about how much progress (relatively speaking) it has made on attracting foreign labour. Granted, there is progress that has been made, and for migrants from the western and african world these have been substantial, though from a very low base (these groups are also a very small proportion of total migrants). For other asian migrants, their lot is far worse than the laudatory claims made, regardless of how much their personal circumstances might have change.

I guess what I am trying to get at is getting the language right, otherwise we will be saying the same sounds but meaning different things, and ultimately achieve a false consensus.

Taiwan is ahead of Japan on every regard on foreign labor, both in opening doors to the them, and treatment.

2 Likes

Still assistant professor though. You’d think the one place a meritocracy could work would be in acedemia.

Average time to associate professor is 5 years. Give it time. They can’t teleport to the future where they have been Professors for 20 years and are department presidents.

1 Like

Not sure about Europe, but US demands for immigration can be extremely high. I agree with that mindset though.

That’s nice. I’m talking about migrants

I hear you mate, but I doubt a random migrant from the any western country will pitch up in Taiwan because of their migrant-friendly framework. Most do it for political, tax or family reasons. Did I miss the red carpet? :smile:

1 Like

Major reason is that there’s no money in Taiwan to earn.

Migrants are temporary and taken advantage of everywhere unfortunately. They fill a niche.

1 Like

Sport is the only place meritocracy works. Occasionally.

2 Likes

meritocracy TW style: giving second tier basketball players citizenship while the reat of us get nothin

2 Likes

Which brings to mind this fine work:

Guy

2 Likes

If hard work, common sense and equality ruled the world, it would be a very different world

1 Like

Another drop in the bucket.

Interesting how child allowance stops at 5 years old, but many Taiwanese children live with parents until late twenties.

12 Likes

Political leaders gotta lead by example.
Where are those with 3 or more children?

2 Likes

After five/six, the kids go to school and the parents can work full time, in theory.

I agree that 5000 isn’t enough to encourage people to have more kids.

1 Like

What’s the amount for 0-2 ? Is there any payment for that age group?

it starts paying off after the 6th kid :slight_smile:

$5000? If this were on top of free childcare and education, I could see it, but isn’t a public kindy almost that much per month?

To apply for the subsidy, parents must have combined income taxed at less than 20 percent, and raise their child or children without governmental help such as public childcare centers.

So if you want to qualify, you’ll need to pay for private childcare options, which are like 20k or more per month. Great incentive to have more babies! /s