Taiwan population decline

I think you’re probably right.

1 Like

Because it is? I went to high school in BC by bus; everyone’s parents bitched because it was just under 3.5 miles, and they had to pay- by law, anything farther, the government had to provide transportation or pay.
Your story is changing- it was walk to school 10 km; now it’s ride a bicycle- sometimes.
Walking speed by a child ranges from 4 km/h for elementary school age to 5.1 for teenagers. Walking 20 km a day - remember, there and back- would mean a child spending 5 hours for an elementary student and 4 hours for a teenager just walking. This is illegal anywhere in Canada.
(I bet it was in the snow, uphill both ways.)

1 Like

Southern vancouver island. not uncommon at all. Surprised people never had to walk/bike to school here. seems odd. roads are paved on snow days and salted/sanded. but ice is a problem, safer to walk than ride. if they arent, buses dont ride and day off. flat area…

I had to double check because I really dont think 10km is a big deal when young. but I was wrong it was 7km. lived just past panorama rec center and went to stellys (if your from the island) for a few years in high school. only ever took a bus when really young and school was actually far. even that was still a 1km walk with mom to the bus stop.

regardless, taiwan has great bus system here for students, far superior than canada. And merging 2 close, empty schools wouldnt really affect much other than savings.

Seems like a bad time for road work. Don’t the plows get in the way?

1 Like

oops, my bad. *ploughed

that’s a dumb one…

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

The trend continues. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

2 Likes

Plan B of China’s takeover of Taiwan is to wait for when elementary school children are just those of westerners and Vietnamese mixed marriages, cuz dogs in baby carriages can’t shoot guns. But, they do make for good FB likes.

7 Likes

Because those kids won’t be Taiwanese or because Vietnamese aren’t nuts when it comes to defending their homeland?

2 Likes

Having more Vietnamese around should give Beijing pause. After all, the Vietnamese smacked the Chinese back when Beijing initiated a war in the late 1970s. :grin:

Guy

6 Likes

Perhaps he meant all the foreign Chinese brides and business folk that were/are placed here to infiltrate the culture and economy :innocent:

Like any cancer, there are resistance treatments.

If not considering Chinas oppression, I think unless better systems are put into place, lower population in Taiwan is a positive.

1 Like

sadly we face a lose lose situation, either be left with the grumpy annoying old people, or the entitled strawberries.
we seem to have lost all the normal people in between.

1 Like

Perhaps the issue is people expect it to just happen, whereas in reality it takes enormous amounts of time, energy and money in order to create a mature, quality community. Seems the common denominator is people just dont give a shit about others anymore and wont be selfless.

1 Like

I found myself wondering where we forumosans fit in this spectrum of badness. :rofl:

Guy

Loads of both. same as all countrues with decent health care, internet and freedom :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The total population count of 23,264,640 in 2022 represents a drop of 110,674 from the 23,375,314 recorded in 2021.

3 Likes

Does it include immigrants?

the number of immigrant population was 93,867, an increase of 16,486 over the same month of the previous year, and the net number of emigration was 10,870

https://www.moi.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=9&s=262660

3 Likes

except by that time china will have the same exact problem.

1 Like

Follow the trend. Close the school and open a pet business. :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

Ethically, cannot here. As bad as the local pork industry.

2 Likes