Taiwan population decline

I don’t know that this is true, but

It doesn’t matter, because the size of the military doesn’t matter, and even if they did double it that way, which they won’t because it doesn’t matter, it still wouldn’t matter

There’s a manpower shortage at critical positions.

How much bigger, in terms of personnel, do you think the military would need to be to make a difference in the event of conflict?

I think that’s a management and PR problem more than a population problem, right now

Little attention is devoted to explaining, developing, and training on the means and measures by which the army expects to defend Taiwan

“If you just do the same things for a year instead of four months, then you have a problem and a bad reputation,” he said. “The problem is the training content"

The image of an understaffed army with inadequate, token training damages the institution, discourages potential future recruits, and imperils deterrence

The key to success is strong support for rigorous training to accomplish properly assigned tasks, accomplished under appropriate conditions, and implemented to the required standards of performance

The main point: Taiwan’s army faces significant challenges with morale and recruiting. The most important step to address these challenges is to adopt a more rigorous program of training, which would be intended to develop a more agile fighting force capable of effectively implementing the strategic posture outlined by the Overall Defense Concept

As per your link, the problem is not then population size.

Cash bonus for people over 45 to return to the workforce. https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202402170011

4 Likes

Today I saw a woman in her late 40s or early 50s folding sweaters at a MUJI store. That’s weird, I thought. Why is this customer folding stuff.

The answer is she was working at that MUJI. I’ve been shopping at that place since they opened in Taiwan, and I don’t think I have ever seen someone in that age group working there.

Guy

3 Likes

On a related note MUJI was in the news recently for not giving out new year bonuses and employees receiving a hongbao of $100NT despite the company earning record profits.

3 Likes

Aren’t they managed by Uni-President in Taiwan?

Corrections are welcome if my information is wrong or out of date.

Guy

When Covid kicked off I noticed most of the young service staff disappear at my local convenience stores, replaced by over 50s workers. After it died down the older staff were gone again though.

1 Like

There’s some older staff in our local store now aswell.

1 Like

Supposedly the big delivery company zaijian bian only gave its full time workers 10k ntd new year bonuses this year.

I’ve noticed a lot of regional variation on this. Here in Da’an District Taipei, the staff at nearby convenience and Japanese fast food stores is largely older.

Out in New Taipei City, the staff is much younger. I don’t think enough young people of humble means live in Da’an to staff these kinds of businesses. And why would you commute for a job like this? One store manager also said that they found older workers more reliable. He said that was extremely important to them.

No shit, Sherlock! Of course older workers are more reliable, because in general they’re not spoiled brats and knows a thing or two.

The only reason why some wouldn’t hire older workers is because they might ask for more pay and all that… but I’m not sure there’s much choice, as youngsters are becoming in shorter supply.

There’s hope for me yet to be an employed older worker.

1 Like

They should import 100,000 horny English teachers into Itaewon in Seoul, pay them 100,000USD a year, and give honorary citizenship if they impregnant more than two females at any given time. A free apartment and a lifetime supply of kimchi if it is more than 5. Problem solved.

1 Like

With you there that they are more reliable, but there appears to be some ancient and mysterious Oriental wisdom at play here which is at odds with this, when given the chance they like young bods in stores here. More flucked up “thinking in stereotypes”, oldies can’t lift boxes out of the parcel lock up, or balance the cash register at 7-11 or something. [And before some gallant defender of Taiwan’s honour pops up, I realise ageism exists everywhere.]

1 Like

Me too. I hope you share my warm fuzz feelings.

The difficulty with this approach is that women in East Asia including Taiwan rarely have children out of wedlock.

62.2% of French children are born out of wedlock. The UK, US, and Germany are 49% 40.5%, and 33.1% respectively.

In Taiwan, slightly less that 4% of children are born out of wedlock. Less than 3% in South Korea and Japan.

Social and family stigma no doubt plays a huge role in these conservative Confucian societies. But low wages, lack of childcare and other support services are very important too.

https://www.rti.org.tw/news/view/id/2163560

5 Likes

It demonstrates the enormous societal differences between here and the West.

4 Likes

@ChewDawg 's approach has been tested, in a way, with the presence of hundreds of thousands of US soldiers in South Korea.

To put it politely, it hasn’t led to the demographic reversal he envisions.

Guy

1 Like