Taiwan, Province of China

Find Taiwan on the pulldown menu at this of this URL. I saw this same thing at the Network Solutions/Verisign website. When you sign up for a domain name from them your choice for Taiwan is “Taiwan, Province of China”. Argh!$%

Has anyone seen this before and written emails to these companies? I have seen it a few times and almost always write an email to them. Had couple of successes at some sites that change it right away. However, I think Verisign/Network Solutions still hasn’t changed. Luckily there are other places to go to get a domain name.

Taiwan is not a Province of CHINA?!

[img]images/smiles/converted/yes.gif[/img]     PRC

Yup, I order books off bol.com, which is a UK site. The Website has “Taiwan, Republic of China.” When you receive your order confirmation email, however, its described as “Taiwan, Province of China,” which is also on the actual package address.

I’ve sent a number of progressively nastier emails about this, which are always aknowledged with deepest apologies and assurances that it won’t happen again (but it always does).

I also get a five-pound voucher off them for each email sent. Maybe if everyone here registers with them and starts complaining, we can generate so many five-pound vouchers that they’ll go out of business.

Better go tell the government of Taiwan. Check these quotes form the Government Information Office web site:

quote[quote]The State of Texas established a sisterly relationship with Taiwan Province in 1988...State of Louisiana and Taiwan Province established a sisterly relationship in 1985...The State of Arkansas and Taiwan Province established a sisterly relationship in 1983...very early in 1980 the State of Oklahoma already established its sisterly relationship with Taiwan Province... [/quote]

etc. etc.

Have a look at your Taiwanese friends’ passports. They are citizens of the Republic of China. Quite a lot of them have PRC passports or “Taiwan compatriot I.D. cards” (Taibaozheng) too.

More from the same web site:

quote:
Chen Shui-bian: President of the Republic of China Lu Hsiu-lien: Vice President of the Republic of China YU Shyi-kun: Premier of the Republic of China

That C word keeps popping up all over the place!

quote:
Originally posted by Juba: Better go tell the government of Taiwan. Check these quotes form the Government Information Office web site:

The State of Texas established a sisterly relationship with Taiwan Province in 1988…State of Louisiana and Taiwan Province established a sisterly relationship in 1985…The State of Arkansas and Taiwan Province established a sisterly relationship in 1983…very early in 1980 the State of Oklahoma already established its sisterly relationship with Taiwan Province…

etc. etc.

Have a look at your Taiwanese friends’ passports. They are citizens of the Republic of China.

Juba, you ought to know very well that the “Taiwan Province” referred to in the quotes above is most certainly not the same thing as “Taiwan, province of China.” The Taiwan Provincial Government, which James Soong used to head, is not the same thing as ROC government. The GIO’s choice of language is accurate; yours is not.

You’re welcome here to discuss issues related to the name/names of Taiwan but not to raise smoke screens.

Thanks for clarifying, Cranky, but I didn’t even think Juba’s post was worthy of a reply.

BTW, I found out about bol.com from one of your posts, I think – many thanks, I think its a great site (apart from the Province of China thing.)

Everyone remember it’s not “Province of China” but “PROVINCE of CHINA” or “Province of CHINAAAA!”
It’s a business image concept and we should respect the copyright, ok?

quote[quote]Taiwan is not a Province of CHINA?! [/quote]

Hobart, ?! isn’t right.
You are looking for an interrobang!

(I am such a stinker!)

quote:
Originally posted by cranky laowai: Juba, you ought to know very well that the "Taiwan Province" referred to in the quotes above is most certainly not the same thing as "Taiwan, province of China."

Is this some kind of parallel universe concept?

“Taiwan, Province of China” is Taiwan’s English country name in ISO-3166. The list of names in ISO-3166 is based on a couple of UN-sources, including the UN Bulletin “Country Names” and the code list of the “Standard Country or Area Codes for Statistical Use”.

quote:
Originally posted by Chih-Hao Tsai: "Taiwan, Province of China" is Taiwan's English country name in [url=http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/]ISO-3166[/url]. The list of names in ISO-3166 is based on a couple of UN-sources, including the UN Bulletin "Country Names" and the code list of the "Standard Country or Area Codes for Statistical Use".

Yes, but since most educated people in the world know that Taiwan is not Province of China, they do not use the insulting moniker “Taiwan, Province of China”, lest they have no more customers from Taiwan. I am sure most people posting on Oriented spend a lot of time on the internet and if their experience is the same as mine then they only come across people using the unedited ISO-3166 list about 5% of the time.

However, that 5% really gets me angry enough that I have to educate them with emails and phone calls until they change the insulting reference.

CHINA

quote:
Originally posted by Hobart: ...most educated people in the world know that Taiwan is not Province of China

Cor blimey, all them geezers wot done the Taiwan government web site, and them Hinternashunal Standards wotsits, they’re all so bleedin hunejerkated, we’d better 'ave Hobart go over and learn 'em a thing or two pronto, know what I mean, me old China?

Has anyone met Juba in person? Maybe at the Oriented Social? Is he really a 42 year old, out of work European? Sorry Juba, I gleaned this from your website.

I wanted to know this because he seems more like some patriotic PRC Communist. Frankly, I think he is misguided or sick.

You know on his website he lists his location as Taibei, Taiwan, China!! What a freak. Here is the link. Juba’s Webpage

I would say that he should have his visa revoked, but then Taiwan would be no better than Juba’s beloved communist China.

When I was trying to find the post where Juba told me that he was a Unificationist and wants to see Taiwan and China united, I found a post where he is espousing Beijing’s point of view on the June 4 Tiananmen Massacre. You can read it here.
Juba’s opinion on the Tiananmen Massacre

Has anyone met him? Why is he so Pro-Communist China? Juba you may comment as well, which I am sure you will and you certainly should.

quote:
Originally posted by cranky laowai: Juba, you ought to know very well that the "Taiwan Province" referred to in the quotes above is most certainly not the same thing as "Taiwan, province of China."

Another example of the flawed non-consensus “One-China with different interpretations”.

What’s wrong with the name Formosa?

quote:
Originally posted by Hobart: Has anyone met Juba in person? Maybe at the Oriented Social? Is he really a 42 year old, out of work European? Sorry Juba, I gleaned this from your website.

I wanted to know this because he seems more like some patriotic PRC Communist. Frankly, I think he is misguided or sick.

I wonder about that myself. I speculate he may be a refugee from Austrian Right Wing Politics or a former E. German pining for the comfort of Communist control.

“If only the wall had stoood, I would still have a steady job.”

quote:
Originally posted by wwwright: "If only the wall had stoood, I would still have a steady job."

That is very funny!

Ho ho, you Amerikaner are so komisch. Please schtop making me laugh, or I vill schplitt mein lederhosen.

Juba, out of sincere curiousity, why don’t you live in China?

quote:
Originally posted by chung: What's wrong with the name Formosa?

Sounds great to me!

Why would they want a Portuguese name. They’re not Portuguese.

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: Juba, out of sincere curiousity, why don't you live in China?

I do.