šŸš† Taiwan Railways | Going through a station without getting charged?

Has anyone tried to go IN and OUT a train station (TRA) without riding a train? Will you be charged or it has allowed time without getting charged?

Why?

you can ask for a platform ticket, which allows you to go in and out, without boarding a train (e.g. to help someone with suitcases, or to say goodbye). it costs 10 or 20 nt$ i think.

3 Likes

Platform tickets are no more.

1 Like

Happened to me at Ruifang a few years back when the train to Pingxi was ā€œsomewhat overcrowdedā€ (there were more left behind than managed to squeeze onto the train), so I decided to give it a miss, and my YoYo Card got hit for NT5 or something on exit. I made some noise and they handed me the amount in cash.

2 Likes

I think that is probably because people kept sneaking on the trains for free.

I need to go to the other side of the station on a daily basis. passing through the station is the shorter way.

So if you use an EasyCard, they will probably charge you NT$5 each time?

You made some noise for NTD5? Jesus. Iā€™d hate to see you get bumped from a long haul flightā€¦

2 Likes

Friends and I did that ruse often in U.Kā€¦
Rules where they couldnā€™t fine you if you had one :point_up: only ask for fare.

Best one 5 of us got on using the platform ticket, inspector got on the train checked so we all paid as he checked each, friend last one, inspector said why do you have a platform ticket but on the train? He said: my mates were going I was seeing them off, they persuaded me to go with them when train arrived.
He said but you all have one? None you going then suddenly decided :rofl:

2 Likes

Lets just say that I was grumpy at having missed out, and was less than impressed at being charged for the ā€œprivelageā€. I didnā€™t actually expect a ā€œrefundā€. The Taiwanese in the same situation were a tad more noisier.

Perhaps it was the the ethics of charging more than the amount charged?

1 Like

Thereā€™s no ethics around a nickel. Itā€™s chump change.

Anyone that believes that doesnt really care much about about it :slight_smile: Someone richer than you says the same thing about a million nt.

Monetary is subjective. Policy is objective.

1 Like

By rights should be able to travel the whole of the MRT for free - as long as you enter exit though same MRT station and not leave any station.
*Utterly pointless and be incredibly boring tho, so I wonā€™t be trying.

Avoiding LRT lines you have go through ticket barrier
To access.

In Sydney there is a semi-annual ā€˜competitionā€™ to see who can travel to all suburban stations (about 180) in a single day. Given that the start and end station are the same I do wonder what fare they pay.

How long would it take to travel to all MRT stations in Taipei + Taoyuan, I wonder. Would that involve getting off at each station, get a stamp or something in you Metro Passport and then jump on the next train?

I would totally love to visit all railway stations of Taiwan, maybe after retirementā€¦

I think that the ā€˜ruleā€™ in Sydney was that they get off at each station, take a selfie in front of the station sign, then get back on (before the doors are closed).

It is possible to go ā€˜around Taiwan in a dayā€™ without using the HSR. One day I might give it a try. All lines in a day would be difficult as those few short sections would chew up a lot of time - and impossible if you count Alishan.

1 Like

Of course, the railway stations not in one day. :laughing: