Taiwan Rejects Imports of Tainted Sriracha Sauce

Simply tragic. :sob:

Guy

1 Like

Damn. I just ate some yesterday. Hope it wasnā€™t tainted.

Since this was the first time the product had violated regulations, the FDA will increase the rate of inspections. This particular shipment of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce had been imported from the U.S. by Emporium Corporation (ę²³ę“›ä¼ę„­).

someoneā€™s doing some late-night paper shredding

I canā€™t help wondering if this is for real. Sulphur dioxide is a gas, and itā€™s used in food applications precisely because it tends to diffuse out over time. It seems unlikely that these bottles could have spent weeks on a boat and still contain that much SO2. Maybe someone can check my working, but 0.5g would be about 200ml of gaseous SO2. Taiwan News getting their units messed up, perhaps?

5 Likes

not the first time they get units mixed up

2 Likes

I just worked through the typical dosing for metabisulphite and I think ā€˜gramsā€™ is correct. 0.03g/kg is 30ppm, which is a sensible maximum after the SO2 has been diminished by reaction and offgassing. 0.5g/kg just seems more like someone putting a decimal point in the wrong place, doing their tests incorrectly, or being peevish.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a protectionist stint here because Iā€™m sure local producers donā€™t follow such strict rules.

Not that I care for sirracha because you get better hot sauce in Taiwan.

I donā€™t think sulfur dioxide (SO2) is what they test for here, but rather sulfur dioxide residues, primarily sulfites (SO32āˆ’) or bisulfites (HSO3āˆ’). Iā€™d have to look into it more to figure out whatā€™s going on, but the Taiwan FDA has a published test method here based on converting the sulfite/bisulfite ions ā€œbackā€ into SO2 and titration.

Your math is fine ((0.5/64)Ɨ24 = 188 mL for room temperature and pressure), but it wouldnā€™t be present as gaseous SO2 under these conditions but rather dissolved sulfite/bisulfite ions (dissolved gases are another thing, but I guess the SO2 would be too big to diffuse through the sealed plastic bottles anyway). If it were a gas, I guess some of the bottles might have exploded due to overpressure.

Nonetheless, 0.5 g/kg does seem rather high for the permitted limit of 0.03 g/kg and the amounts typically present in wines etc., so maybe they did put the decimal point in the wrong place. Iā€™m not sure where it comes from here - presumably either fumigation of the chilis or other ingredients during manufacture or naturally produced during fermentation of the sauce.

3 Likes

Brain be like :brain: :musical_note:

Sometiiimes I feel Iā€™ve got to

:drum: :drum:

run awayā€¦

Regardless of sloppy reporting, itā€™s just sulfites. A preservative that in one shape or form has been used back to Roman times. Of all the stuff that has ended up in food in Taiwan over the years.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this one from the USA a ripped off copy of the real Sriracha from Thailand?

I canā€™t keep track.

This one seems to be more Tabasco-like flavored than the Thailand sririchasā€™.

Itā€™s the iconic Vietnamese American hot sauce, invented (or stolen, if you prefer) by a guy called David Tran. Itā€™s legendary!

Guy

1 Like

Maybe Thai one is the rip-off of the real American Sriracha. :rofl:

Maybe it was a fake one from China, produced in Africa then imported via the Europe with US credentials?

Maybe.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s the Vietnamese refugee David Tran who claims to be Chinese who ripped off the name of the famous original Thai chili sauce as well as the name of the province where itā€™s made.

I like the California version very much and eat it on about everything. Burgers, burritos, noodles, rice. It is fermented chiles without any modified food starch in many of the authentic brands. I guess Iā€™ll have to bring my own back to Taiwan.