Taiwan restaurant norms

I’m a bit embarrassed to ask because I should know this by now, but what are the cultural norms in casual food establishments in Taiwan when it comes to clearing the table, ordering, and paying?

In the US, you always clear your own table, and in Hong Kong you never do it.

In the US, you always pay upfront, and in Hong Kong you always pay when you leave (except at large fast food chains).

In the US, you always order before grabbing a table. In HK, you always get settled at a table before getting up again to go order.

What is the cultural norm here? I’ve been in Taiwan for over two years and I still haven’t figured out yet.

Taiwan it is all of the above, the establishment will tell you if you need to pay first if it is a proper restaraunt with servers. and it is absolutely ok to politely ask if it’s a pay first/after situation :slight_smile: many places, especially cheaper spots like .mcdonalds, breakfast chains etc are pay first. loads are aslo pay after.

there is no rule here and it is acceptable to ask at seating/order when one should pay :slight_smile:

however if it a wait to be seated type place that comes and takes your order, rather than a menu you write on and take to the counter, they should let you know to pay first. or it is safe to assume pay later in my opinion.

one golden rule I follow in any country is wait till the food arrives to complain :face_with_thermometer:

3 Likes

QR codes too… more and more restaurant wants to do QR codes for some reason.

Today that hot pot place I went to started doing this. I told them my phone broke. She said just tell the cashier what I want.

If they want to force you to use electronic menus they need to provide a device for this.

They also dont want cash or employees. all 3 things are worth fighting to keep. but that’s not his question.

You can just watch what others do.

Most don’t require you to clear the table unless you see a place to do it.

Small restaurants usually let you settle at the front when you leave.

1 Like

Only restaurant that makes you clear your own table is those biandang places.

Back home they used to provide iPads five or six years ago but nowadays most people have smartphones so they just use QR codes now.

In any case, I didn’t ask about QR codes. This belongs in another thread.

2 Likes

八方 makes me clear the tables every time I go, and so does McDonald’s and Dain Dain Burger. I’ve also been to a couple of food courts in the malls where I had to clear my own table, but went to other malls where they took my trays for me. It’s all very confusing.

1 Like

Thanks. I had a feeling this might be the case. I don’t understand why there isn’t a standard nation-wide cultural norm like there is in every other country I’ve been to.

I would say majority of places require to pay upfront for the food. Mostly mid to higher end restaurants give you a bill to settle at the end.
Places that assign a table usually have a ‘receptionist’ near the door.
A tray is a good indicator that they want you to put it into a rack for dirty dishes when you are done.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, but when I was done eating at a food court the other day I started taking my tray to the racks before I was stopped by a lady who took it from me.

Food courts usually have dedicated workers who clean the table area, which are often shared by all restaurants.

Most countries I have been are mix and match, including HongKong

My general feeling is places that want a tip or want to add drinks etc to your bill you pay later, places that want you to eat and go you pay first (also places where people may leave without paying).

As for tidying, if there is a place to tidy I will clean, if not I will leave, but keep an eye on other while I eat to get an idea.

2 Likes

I normally make the effort to tidy up, sometimes they just help when you start to take it, I say thanks and give it to them.

Hong Kong is not.

You never clear your own table in Hong Kong. It’s considered cultural faux pax and people will look at you funny if you do, as if you’re trying to run off with the silverware.

When ordering in HK, you always find a table and get settled first otherwise there may not be a table for you after you order.

As for paying, only fast food chains like McDonald’s and Cafe de Coral make you pay first. The standard for cafes and other casual eateries is to pay at the end.

The clearing was in the second part of my reply

I never mentioned about seating, everywhere I have been if you eat in you get the table first or are shown to it. I wouldn’t order until I’m sure of a place to sit (this also applies to food courts if busy, if not then I would just order like in any other country).

As I say the pay and go places, most cafes and casual places in HK normally will offer more drinks etc so you settle up at the end. There are time in HK when I was asked to pay first, maybe I just look dodgy.

1 Like

Oh you said HK was a mixed bag, and that was the statement I was replying to. Wasn’t sure if you were also including seating.

1 Like

When I first came here first almost everywhere was eat first pay later except fast food places. So you basically assumed to pay after the meal. Over the years pay first started to become more and more common such as in cafes and some restaurants.
I usually ask them to make sure while I’m grabbing a menu. '‘Xian fu ma?’.
You only need clear your table if you see a sign asking to do so.

2 Likes

the push for cutting budgets and not hiring humans has made this an actual thing in many places. it is a real thing all over, obviously in certain price brackets and/or styled establishments. like Bian dan places, if you leave it they will still clean it. they have to. but you will be scolded upon revisiting…

If the cuts in budgets across the board were related to better food quality, it might be alright. but it’s mostly due to increased rents and constant cost increases by greedy C words (middle men), not really based on any logistical logical cost increases. which is what kills me! as a food manufacturer and supplier, I feel embarrassed to be in the same industry as these people. it is a true disgrace…!

Basically, freedom. I think it is advantageous to have all options available and the customer be enabled/comfortable enough to be able to ask basic logical questions. to be honest, I feel the sheepishness in taiwan is expanding as well as the entitlement on half assed “bhsinesses” and it’s harder for people to ask. meanwhile every sane business owner enjoys a customer that is clear and asks direct questions to save people time. Just dont be an asshole. ain’t hard.

the ocd mentally ill entitled styled places might be different. they are more and more common, so your question is quite understandable and legitimate! but people wanting to do business appreciate clarity here. just do it with a smile, which was something I found lacking in HK if I’m being honest (dont hate me!). asking politely normally receives at least a fair response. we do have ass holes here too ,and certain industries have higher percentages (coffee, tea, vegetarian and some .others are well known for being arrogant turds) but it’s easy to win shit faces over with manners and money.

no matter what, just know it is fair to ask here. Status quo. if they give you shit, you may want to question their products and move on :wink: but basically it’s fine to ask, and move on according to that establishments set out criteria. dont sweat it :slight_smile:

edit. no nation standard because we ain’t china haha! yeah, I said it. but it’s true. nation.standards are for FDA and he like, not individual shops. we are cookie cutter copy n paste enough already :v:t3: