Taiwan Rushes to Prevent China From Cutting Internet, Phones

Anyone have back up plans if no internet?

1 Like

Starlink is currently the only option, but it has not officially started in Taiwan.
There are some expensive global coverage plans for Starlink that would also work in Taiwan right now.

Tang said OneWeb, a satellite provider with investors including the UK government, Indian conglomerate Bharti Global and Softbank Group Corp., has signaled its interest, as has Project Kuiper, an initiative from Amazon .com Inc. to create a constellation of over 3,000 LEO satellites. But neither of those is currently available.

Only Starlink Inc.’s SpaceX satellite constellation has the capability to provide live coverage right now. Tang describes Starlink as a potential provider, but adds that she’s after more than one participant in order “to ensure that when there’s adversity, multiple constellations will have to be destroyed or disrupted to deny us communication” with the outside world.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-29/taiwan-prepares-for-china-cutting-off-internet-phone-communications

2 Likes

The photo the second article has of Kinmen is from ages ago. That bridge has finally been completed!

Books and records.

1 Like

I get no phone service where I live and no internet connection comes here. Starlink works for me and I get pretty fast speeds

1 Like

Nah. Google will help me figure it out if the time comes.

5 Likes