Taiwan’s Labor Crunch Threatens Precarious Economic Recovery and Eateries (per economic news)

that is illegal, and although vacation days here are low, if you work for a legitimate business you get paid vacation days and sick leave.

1 Like

They will just say you’re hourly and claim that they don’t have to give any.

Vacation days aren’t high in the US either but you can be sure you’re getting them. In Taiwan it seems you gotta sue to get it.

Idk what you are on about. The biggest expense is the fees paid to the intermediaries, but that’s not all our problem. The intermediaries charging a shit ton of money are in their native country in SEA too.

And while migrant workers are paid shit in Taiwan, it’s still much better than in their home country, which is why they keep coming. After the border opened last year the population in Taiwan started to increase fast and it’s certainly not because people start fucking like rabbits.

Also, their labour condition is better/similar in Taiwan than in other Asian countries like Singapore, HK, Japan and Korea. There was an NHK report about many Vietnamese migrant workers choosing Taiwan over Japan because yen is tragic, so the pay is even shittier, and cost of living is much higher.

1 Like

Also Japan is extremely xenophobic. Taiwanese will at least talk to and deal with the SEA workers if they can speak Chinese, the Japanese do not even see them as human beings. Japanese barely accept white foreigners as it is.

Hence foreign labor. Problem solved.

You guys are too whiny and don’t look for solutions.

2 Likes

Does the Taiwanese government issue employment visas to foreigners to work in the hospitality/food and beverage industry?

I’ve never seen any foreigners work as waiters in Taiwan.

1 Like

Immigration is a complex issue and not a votes winner.

No. They should, which is the point.

1 Like

Yes just not for wait staff. F&B managers sure. A lot of the foreign invested bars like Carnegies and Brass Monkey staff had work permits as F&B Managers.

Yeah I didn’t think so.

Yea as the guy above said… just call it “manager” and you’re all good. Taiwan expects you to fudge on the paperwork a little.

There is a minimum salary requirement to qualify a manager for an employment visa (I’m guessing it’s $48k), and I don’t think any restaurant would want to pay all their front-line staff a manager’s salary if they don’t want to go out of business.

It is. Maybe the inability to eat out will change things.

It depends on the type of hospitality. You can still call it manager even though your actual job is the same as any hospitality staff. And the salary isn’t out of line given the worker shortage these days.

Sure, but salaries aren’t only determined by staff demand and supply. They are also determined by how much your business can afford to pay.

If a restaurant paid all waiters $48k they would have to charge a lot more for their food, which could lead to less business.

This isn’t an issue unique to Taiwan. I think the long-term solution will be automation/human-less restaurants.

The U.S. could benefit from another 100 million people and can give it a huge advantage over China and bring in a lot more talent. US has resources for at least three times the current population. US cities lack density and can build more apartments and walkable neighborhoods to improve economy and competitiveness

But what politician would dare be that pro immigration, even though would benefit the whole

Same In Taiwan, who is going to champion it?

1 Like

Sorry, but Republicans would be totally against it.

All that refugees coming to America for a better life? Why not invest in them and train them up? Make them competitive against China and the increased tax base would improve lives of Americans overall.

But not only would Republicans be against it, Americans would be against it. They are far too hung up on stuff like border, culture, and all that to even want that. In reality they’d bungle all this up and end up with immigrants who would become criminals due to lack of education and opportunities, and it would only prove Republican’s point of how they’re all “bad” people.

I personally would look to immigrate to the EU. They’re far more committed to improving people’s lives than America is.

Both parties would be against it. That’s my point. I’m not even talking about refugees

Well immigration would actually be a net positive to any country except luddites and nationalists are dead set against it.

Japan would much rather see their society collapse than to admit immigrants, their birth rate is abysmally low.

It would take a benevolent dictator to make stuff like this happen. It’s like nuclear power.

Increasing immigration to become ‘better’ than the competitor will only be palatable if it does not appear to upset the status quo, regardless of the economic or social benefits. The status quo around existing wages, and who can pitch in on the political scene, who is catered to (or not). The current bruhaha over immigration is about fears over this.

The ‘economy’ could grow, but what of existing trade union members’ benefits and their stranglehold over wages? And what of new potential voting constituents who arw not swayed by nativist sentiment? And what of growing shareholder profits from cheaper labour? And those who do not want to see or hear cultures different from theirs? Those are the hot potatoes.

1 Like