Taiwan’s Labor Crunch Threatens Precarious Economic Recovery and Eateries (per economic news)

There’s a LOT of buffet restaurants in Kaohsiung, I guess lack of staff is part of it.

I can tell you San Pin, a chain or old coffee shops that has meals has some long term like 15+ years staff, and nice service. Its not super great food, but nice services/ Maybe you list of eateries with nice staff and great services

1 Like

All Taiwanese people ever talk about is food. If they can’t have their food, maybe they will think about allowing migrant labor into the food industry.

really? I guess I seldom go eat a buffet so I do not know, I always thought Taipei hotels have many big buffets

In Taipei, I like this chain (thought they had buffet)
https://www.shinyeh.com.tw/content/zh/brand/Index.aspx?BrandId=3

And good food, in Kaohsiung? If I give my short list it’ll be too easy to find me :sweat_smile:

I do lots of stuff, university jobs are often like that. English teaching is something I have done

There are good jobs, but seems they are few and far between; I gather even some of the buxiban guys are happy with their gigs even though they had to cycle through a lot of crap to get there

3 Likes

I teach in English and I enjoy my job.

6 Likes

Ha, I work mostly using Chinese (English mostly the 20% of the time out of Taiwan) and am happy too! Lots of long term staff makes it nice to work with people I feel comfortable with, sad when some leaves but for me remains most of the time a friend.

I think this is true ! its the 27% that make interesting stories and noise haha

So, you eat more than burgers haha??

Sure, burgers are just a personal favorite. Mostly I eat at home, can’t complain about the service (ok, the cook is a real smartass), great value, better food than 90% of the restaurants I’ve tried in town

Are you referring to your partner? :laughing:

So when will you cook for all of us, and what will be on the menu?

I’m the cook, that’s why the food is so good! Currently between partners

2 Likes

Go check the recipe thread and tell me what looks good

2 Likes

自助餐,local buffet restaurants.

2 Likes

@tempogain was making kung pao chicken. Due to labor crunch it is difficult to find a decent version in the restaurants these days!

4 Likes

if its indoors is ok. Open air ones not so much

OK, waiting for your food. Maybe a pot luck at the beach haha. I will bring take away (there are some places have take away discount)

2 Likes

The South of Taiwan and Centre and North all make it a bit differently I found (cos I always order.this.dish in rechao places). The South of course can be a bit sweeter and gloopier as can the centre. North is more traditional, drier. But every restaurant does it different like you said, yes I imagine it is getting harder to find good chefs. the quality of ‘Chinese food’ hasnt improved in Taiwan, probably because they are costing down on the ingredients to resist raising prices.

2 Likes