Taiwan’s Labor Crunch Threatens Precarious Economic Recovery and Eateries (per economic news)

By far my favorite Chinese food. It’s not even a competition. If you know any particularly good places, anywhere on the island let me know.

1 Like

Well then hopefully they will leave the cooking to immigrants :rofl::rofl:

I’ll bring the drinks. That’s my go-to contribution.

Taiwan has very good rechao chefs, but you know the general rechao restaurants don’t have the fresh fish.and seafood selection like they used to and also hardly any beer girls these days, so sad.

My favorite in Kaohsiung is this place, not consistent though. Sometimes is Sichuan level good

2 Likes

The rising price of chicken in Taiwan is also a problem right now. I heard some of the unhappy details earlier today from the Pakistani kebab guy on Tingzhou Road in Taipei City—he has even stopped selling the chicken version of his wraps for a couple days of the week simply because costs are outrunning what he earns from selling his goods. Cheaper frozen chicken imported from abroad is available but the taste, he says, is just not the same.

Guy

3 Likes

Should have known it was click-bait. It was too good to be true.

1 Like

So find one with good fish? I eat at one Minzu Road with shellfish! (I wonder how they set price it flat rate per 100g,)

Another Japanese place, with less labor since old boss retired back to Kyushu(Japan), solution: New open with one girl show (one young girl does all) with more simple menu , nice Japanese food (no sushi)

1 Like

Sure. A two bedroom apartment now costs around US$6500 a month to rent. Good luck getting all those people into Singapore with rent costs out of reach for most people.

1 Like

Singapore in the last year has gone insane. Landlords upping rents halfway through contracts

A lot of that has to do with the CCP destroying HK so that half of Hong Kong moving there and then turning Shanghai into a concentration camp for 9 months, so that all the wealthy and skilled want to get out as well

Singapore is drowning in hot money

2 Likes

I’m afraid to eat there because most price it based on what they see, and I gotten sticker shocks at times. If their price were more transparent then I would be more willing to eat there, but one time I got 2 pieces of chicken leg patty and 3 vegetables and we’re only charged 110. I don’t know if it will be this cheap next time around.

It’s not so much the high prices but the unknown that gets me.

The one you go to, they do not use a scale? or is by the plate? I ask before I pick the food (most of the times)

The ones I go to, the guy looks at the plate and tells you the price. Problem is it’s hard to know what their criteria is and it’s led to a bunch of disputes.

I feel the weight option is better but I also heard the weight option ends up costing more.

1 Like

Well depends on what you eat and how much. A single plate I guess you can put a lot of food on it, but i prefer to choose many small portions which at those places tend not cost a lot (The Japanese place I listed , cost $1,100 for two, if by weight I could fill a big wok with a mountain of food.). Seems they thinks you put too much food on your plate haha maybe??

If it’s all flat rate then what stops people from grabbing only meats? I would do that.

Well not sure? I also think sometimes some meat is cheaper than some vegi’s. Anyways for me this kind of place is for people who like many choices, if you want all meat its your choice! You comment reminds of in USA one buffet try get really big people to not go there too eat, not sure they could do that here

haham this Canada-Chinese buffet does like outsiders

Damn and Singapore have the same problem as Taiwan. Huge salary range, because a lot of people don’t negotiate and accept any low ball offer.

1 Like

Well, as someone who said “I know you’re paying people significantly less qualified than me more than that” and got “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” with more than one potential future employer, I’d say that’s not really fair. It’s only because i took a decade to develop my skills and took on a “don’t take shit from anyone” attitude that I got myself out of that vicious cycle. People who have been taught to smile and nod and accept whatever people throw at them their whole lives? Not going to learn how to stand up for themselves over night.

1 Like

As someone who works freelance , your ability to negotiate depends a lot on how desperate you are at the time. It’s easy to lowball yourself when you need to pay rent

2 Likes

I’m sort of glad all those that fled HK have not come to Taiwan and caused the same issues with rent and soaring property prices.

This past year has already seen a rise in living expenses. I feel poor so I had my wife do a list for the last months expenses. It was a shocker. This month I have to pay house taxes as well lol

Woe is me.

1 Like