Taiwan Spirits and Haunted Places

[quote=“Dangermouse”]
I really don’t have any rational clue as to what really happened, just an idea. If you ever see me and my missus together though, ask her. She’ll tell you all about it as she was witness to whatever it was that happened, along with about 15 other people.[/quote]

This sounds more akin to the UFO mass abduction stories. Where people lose track of large amounts of time, only to remember what happened when under hypnosis. And they’ve told some terrifying stuff. Hybridization experiments. Probing. The usual things people say happens with an abduction.

A cousin of mine apparently went through this. I was in the psych’s office when he was under hypnosis (my cousin requested that I be there) and recalled the events of his “lost time” during an excursion with some friends out in the desert wilds of the Mojave. This kid never lies, he is a smart and good kid, and didn’t believe in the paranormal or give it any weight. I’ve never seen someone so terrified in my life. He was sweating buckets, crying, and wincing in pain the whole time when under hypnosis.

I still have the transcript of his account back at home in California. :astonished:

I’ve heard there are things growing in the ground out there – little cactus thingys – that can be quite … illuminating. :wink:

Dangermouse,

You may have some form of epilepsy.

Many epileptics don’t have “grand mal” seizures, and in some cases, little weird episodes only happen once in a veeeeeery long while.

Might’ve been that.

Could have been…who knows.

I suffer from waking up just after dropping off to sleep, but not being able to move. I’m fully concious during all of this and can see and hear.
I read about it and its apparently due to your concious side of the brain still being active and awake and your subconcious, or the one which is responsible for moving your arms and legs and talking drops off to sleep.

It used to be a scary experience and happened quite frequently - due to being a light sleeper (a dog could bark in Russia and I’d wake up). Apparently, both subconcious and concious sides go to sleep together, but at the last second the concious part can wake up due to a sound or other external stimuli. Now it happens about once every 2 months. I’ve also found out I can induce it.

Once, when I was a teenager, it happened when I was lying on my bed in the daytime. My mum came in and put some stuff in my wardrobe-she thought i was asleep. I was trying to call out to her to give me a nudge but I couldn’t get any words out.

External stimulus gets you out of it - like if someone shakes you. When it happens now I just breath as loud as I can. Usually my girlfriend wakes up and gives me a shake and then we both go back to sleep. If I am not with anyone, then I have to wait or “think” myself out of it.

I know other people suffer from this kind of thing. It’s apparently likened to an Incubus and the beginnings of Astral Projection. In science, it’s explained away as catelepsy, but doesn’t quite fit that criteria.

I may get the courage to post what happened, but I haveto speak to the people who were there as I can’t remember. It’s pointless posting half a story.

Double post, sorry.

[quote]I suffer from waking up just after dropping off to sleep, but not being able to move. I’m fully concious during all of this and can see and hear.
I read about it and its apparently due to your concious side of the brain still being active and awake and your subconcious, or the one which is responsible for moving your arms and legs and talking drops off to sleep.
[/quote]

I’ve read about that too. Apparently a symptom of this is that sometimes people sense dark figures leaning over them. It’s happened to me 3 or 4 times and it was the scariest thing in my life. Once happened to my wife.

So this think (what’s the name of it again) is often used as an explanation ofr stories of alien abductions, incubi and succubi, demons, ghosts and the like.

Brian

So do you know the full story yet?

Have a look at this old thread:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … aipei#2879](Ghosts at the Grand Hyatt?

[quote=“Rinkals”]Have a look at this old thread:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … aipei#2879](Ghosts at the Grand Hyatt?

Interesting. But doesn’t really answer the burning Dangermouse question.

As an aside, my gf informs me that the tunnel on Xinhai road, the one closest to Keelung road, is also supposed to be haunted. Apparently this is due to the funeral home beside it, and the graves all around it.

I asked her just what people think they saw there and she said something about an old man, a girl, and an endless tunnel. She says people have talked about it since she was small.

I wouldn’t mind knowing where it is, and how to get there. I might as well have a look, seeing as I’m in Chiayi.

Lord knows there’s little enough to do around here!.

Zhiben right outside of Taidong has something going on up there. Last August when I took a vacation to the hot springs there with my boyfriend he had two “supernatural experiences” in the hotel where we were staying. He’s a bit superstitious, but he was genuinely terrified.

I have spent a few days there, but didn’t experience anything supernatural.

There’s a building at the southeast corner of Renai and Xinsheng in Taipei that’s supposed to be haunted.

And any cemetery.

My wife’s brother-in-law is another of the “I see dead people” type of people in Taiwan, and I’m convinced that he truly believes he has this power. He does not look at cemeteries if we pass them because he claims he cn see the spirits wandering about. He also claims he’s seen and conversed with the spirits of dead relatives. I don’t exactly know what to make of it… I think he believes in these things so strongly that his mind tricks him into experiencing them as real. Besides this he’s perfectly normal.

Dangermouse’ experience of waking up fully aware but unable to move happened to me a few times after I practised what I read in a magazine somewhere.

Thing is, you can control your dreams and use them as your free holo simulation. The trick is, just think “I wanne dream this and that and then be aware of it” again and again before going to sleep.

After some time it worked, dreams could be incluenced by me. You begin to dream of your apartment, it is somewhat different and then you can change it the way you want. Ehem, I was not married by then, so let us exclude of what guests in my apartment I added. :blush: It is long ago :unamused:

Had a lot of fun, kinda building a tower in the garden and inventing floods drowning the neighbourhood, but … when you are awake in dreams, the wake-up signal is missing for your body, I guess. At least I woke up, was awake and could not move. So I stopped this nonsense. Read in another article it is not healthy, kinda the mind-regeneration does not take place for you use your mind 24h.

BobPsychedelicWithoutDrugs
/* video shop would go broke this way, so do not try this at home */

When I was small people used to that if a person was born with the placenta over his/her face, he/she was said to be able to see ghosts clearly
(Het jy gehoor? Sy is mos met die helm gebore!)
. I wonder how widespread the belief is.

[quote=“Rinkals”]When I was small people used to that if a person was born with the placenta over his/her face, he/she was said to be able to see ghosts clearly
(Het jy gehoor? Sy is mos met die helm gebore!)
. I wonder how widespread the belief is.[/quote]
Born with the caul? That’s an old Scottish belief too, except they used to say you could foretell the future.

This has probably been posted before but I’m going to say it anyway. I am utterly surprised there aren’t many haunted places listed here. Seriously! The Taiwanese really believe in ghosts and yet there are very few haunted places or paranormal activity. You would think every single house would be haunted. I really want to go to a haunted place and do a ghost hunt but I can’t seem to find any good ghost stories or places.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Could have been…who knows.

I suffer from waking up just after dropping off to sleep, but not being able to move. I’m fully concious during all of this and can see and hear.

It used to be a scary experience and happened quite frequently - due to being a light sleeper (a dog could bark in Russia and I’d wake up). Apparently, both subconcious and concious sides go to sleep together, but at the last second the concious part can wake up due to a sound or other external stimuli. Now it happens about once every 2 months. I’ve also found out I can induce it.

Once, when I was a teenager, it happened when I was lying on my bed in the daytime. My mum came in and put some stuff in my wardrobe-she thought I was asleep. I was trying to call out to her to give me a nudge but I couldn’t get any words out.

External stimulus gets you out of it - like if someone shakes you. When it happens now I just breath as loud as I can. Usually my girlfriend wakes up and gives me a shake and then we both go back to sleep. If I am not with anyone, then I have to wait or “think” myself out of it.

I know other people suffer from this kind of thing. It’s apparently likened to an Incubus and the beginnings of Astral Projection. In science, it’s explained away as catelepsy, but doesn’t quite fit that criteria.

I may get the courage to post what happened, but I haveto speak to the people who were there as I can’t remember. It’s pointless posting half a story.[/quote]

sounds like sleep paralysis.