Taiwan Spirits and Haunted Places

Do you believe in ghosts, and the paranormal in general?

• Yes.
  • Yes to ghosts, yes to paranormal.
  • No.
  • Yes to ghosts, no to paranormal.
  • In some ways yes, in others no.
  • No to ghosts, yes to paranormal.
  • Both are a load of s**t.

0 voters

Ok so back home, one of my hobbies is going on “ghost hunts” and “ghost investigations.” The difference being if the location is known for hauntings or not. Every few months when we can coordinate schedules, me and a few friends go out and do some spelunking. We’ve not caught much, but there have been a few odd, and some downright frightening, incidents.

I have been trying in vain for months now in trying to find any references for haunted places in Taiwan. I would really like to go out and do some investigating here if I can. Does anyone know of any places supposedly dogged by spirits? Maybe old battlegrounds or something like that? I mean besides the obvious like cemetaries and whatnot. :smiley:

I also added a poll to get a feel for everyone’s paranormal beliefs. :sunglasses:

There is a “haunted house” in Min-hsiung (about 10 km north of Chia-i). If you are interested, I can get more info for you.

An old Japanese house with no roof, right? I spent a night there in 1989 and got $2000NT (and a lot of mosquito bites…) No ghosts in sight, however. I figured any Jiayi ghosts would be more freaked out at seeing a foreigner than I would be at seeing a ghost…

The Xindian-Yilan highway is supposed to be haunted. And the tunnel from Dazhi (Neihu) to Shilin.

But the one to beat all others is head to Jilong for Ghost Festival (in Ghost Month, whoch can’t be too far away now), and after the parade in Jilong head down to Ba Douzi Harbour where they set off the sea lanterns. This is so dangerous (ghost-wise) that I am not allowed to go. ‘Bad things’ happen to people who do.

Brian

This site is in Chinese but has lots of photos. http://www.ttvs.cy.edu.tw/kcc/kcc14/

Min-hsiung’s haunted house was built about 70 years ago. After the elderly owner died, his children (who lived in Beigang and Chia-i) let the place fall into ruin and stories soon started to be told about strange things happening.

I hear that one should head to any island near China and there are plenty of military ghosts there. I hear pretty scary stories from soldiers on Jinmen and Matsu.

There are a few ghost houses in every town, I can think of 2 around here. Some freaky things used to happen where I lived when my son was just a baby, things turning on and off and my son pointing and laughing at things that weren’t there, that and the room temp dropping off the chart. I was just thankful that the ghost brought an air con. with him/her.

Bitan’s supposed to have lots of ghosts. Never seen any. Don’t expect to. Superstitious claptrap. :unamused:
My wife’s friend, however, is supposed to be “sensitive” and has seen ghosts on the footbridge. But then, she’s a nutjob.

We had some Chinese friends staying up here one weekend. They couldnt sleep because it was so quiet. They were used to barking dogs, noisy neigbours and loud traffic.

Finally around 2 am they drifted off to sleep. Around 4am I played the first track from Elton Johns Yellow Brick Road Album, Funeral for a Friend…

They are sure my house has no ghosts now lol…

I listen to this ablum to put me to sleep at night

My co-teacher’s boyfriend sees ghosts. Depending on the color of the ghost’s eyes he can tell if it is a good ghost or bad. He once saw a ghost with tire tracks across its face because that was how the person died.

Donto Koi! :smiley:

[quote=“almas john”]This site is in Chinese but has lots of photos. http://www.ttvs.cy.edu.tw/kcc/kcc14/

Min-hsiung’s haunted house was built about 70 years ago. After the elderly owner died, his children (who lived in Beigang and Chia-i) let the place fall into ruin and stories soon started to be told about strange things happening.[/quote]
That’s the one! I remember it well. My friends thought I was crazy to sleep there. They were probably right. I could have gotten Dengue fever. :wink:

Oh, that was probably just me. I get really pale when I drink too much and she might have mistaken my staggering around and falling off the bridge for “flying” I suppose.

Jinete, why not try Jinguashi near Jiufen? This was the site of a notorious Japanese prisoner of war camp. Or the Shrimen Battlefield site in Pingdong. Lots of death in both places.

A student of mine once told me that several military bases in the ROC are haunted. Apparently many of them are built on or near graveyards.

He told me a story of his own experience seeing a ghost when he was on night watch duty. He and another guard were guarding the rear gate of the base. The figure of an elderly man in Ching Dynasty clothes approached them. They saw that he was floating some inches above the ground. When they challanged him, he evaoprated into thin air. When the two grunts told their C.O. about the incident he swore them to silence. He allowed as hoe their experience was not at all unique, but for the well being of all the troops on base, he didn’t want stories to spread around.

I was told by several other students that ghost sightings by National Servicemen is common.

Perhaps Poagao has some stories?

I’ve never seen a ghost, and remain somewhat sceptical, but I did see something very interesting up on Yen-Ping North Rd. in 1990. At that time I was living at the Fomosa Hostel. In those days we teachers had very irregular hours, so often, without morning classes, I would go out for long walks in the middle of the cool summer night.

I was cruising around the very interesting old distirct of Taipei, when I happend upon a temple with lots of commotion going on. As I approached I came within earshot of the chanting and wooden-bell beating coming from the temple.

Taiwanese temples are so wide-open and informal compared to the stuffy churches of my childhood - I was drawn to the noise, the crowd, and the fact that the outer rim of the crowd was made up of the largest convocation of nuns and priests that I had, and have ever seen.

As I drew up to the back of the group of clergy, everyones attention focused into the temple, I began to see what the point of focus was. A boy of perhaps twelve was bound securely to a wooden chair facing the pantheon of “Tu-di gongs”, and gods.

Around him some senior looking clerics were reciting scripture, and working around him with incense sticks. The mood was intense. As I became more aware of the scene I saw what I can only assume were the boys parents huddled together on the sidelines, the mother in tears.

My view of the boy was from behind, and over the shoulder of the outermost monks and nuns. What I saw was his head rolling in circles, as the the rest of his body flexed against the restraints that held him imobile to his chair. The boy was groaning continuously, as the level of the groups chanting attempted to drown his voice out. Flecks of foam flew from the boys mouth as his head shook about.

I left only a couple of minutes after I wandered up to the temple, not because I had been chased away (no one seemed to register my arrival), or because I was afraid of what I had witnessed. I left because I felt that this was a very personal ceremony, I left because I felt conspicuous, and intursive being a spectator to such a somber enterprise held at 3:00am in an otherwise dark and quiet residential neighborhood.

My conclusion about what I had happened upon up on Yen Ping (Yanping) North Road, in the wee hours of the night, was that it was something of a Taiwanese equivalent of what we would describe as an “excorcism”.

Good luck in your ghost hunting.

I went to Jinguashi and visited the old gold mine and Japanese shinto shrine before they started building the new museum and stuff up there (which is making it look tacky … I liked the “wilderness” look better. Anyway, went with a friend in the middle of the night, no one around, pitch black … and nothing. Most of my Taiwanese friends believe in ghosts, but I don’t.

I saw Santa Claus playing poker with a leprechaun. I was going to join them, but Uri Geller used his powers to tie my shoelaces together and make me fall down. When I fell I hit my head and was knocked unconscious, and my Spirit Guide told me to use the power of a healing crystal to realign my Chakras, which had become unbalanced because of my previous life as an Aztec warlord. When I came to, I discovered that ghosts had stolen my credit card and used it to buy 200 copies of Dianetics.

I’m not going to put you through the boredom of another ghost story, but when I went to Alishan something wierd happened.

I’m not going to explain it because a). You will probably laugh your head off and b) I don’t remeber what happened because I dont remeber - I lost time for 5 hours but what my friends and people involved who I’ve never met before told me is positively terrifying.

This was 3 years ago and is one of the reasons I left Taiwan last time.

All I want to say is there are things out there that are unexplainable. Taiwan is no different.

(From an ex-sceptic)

[quote]I lost time for 5 hours but what my friends and people involved who I’ve never met before told me is positively terrifying.

[/quote]
Spill. Sounds intriguing and if we laugh, so what? Does it involve anal probes? Did you meet Scully?

Dangermouse wrote:

Mystery solved. It’s called a weekend piss up! Happens to people all the time.
There are several variations; everything from coming to while stark-bollock naked out on the street to waking up in a field draped over a fence. :slight_smile:

If I’d met Scully, it probably would have involved anal probes.
(Shit, did I just say that)?

There were no drugs and no alcohol involved. At least I didn’t knowingly drink anything or take any drugs. I know this because when I woke up the doctor told me the results of my blood test at chai yi hospital.

I really don’t have any rational clue as to what really happened, just an idea. If you ever see me and my missus together though, ask her. She’ll tell you all about it as she was witness to whatever it was that happened, along with about 15 other people.