Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Fairly sure that it’s a troll account.

Not that it matters when it’s the most-liked comment on the article.

name and facebook profile

1 Like

Or my former landlord who owns an entire floor of a condo building and rents them out without declaring tax. I’m sure she’ll get the handout.

5 Likes

Oh, okay!
I don’t open the article to see who wrote that.
:upside_down_face:

Racist fucks

Probably would even include overseas Taiwanese because it’s “easier”.

2 Likes

It’s a suggestion to a caucus, not a bill about to be passed. They’re not going to say “nationals and ARC holders” in broad policy proposals. And it’s the opposition party, so this doesn’t mean much anyway. Calling this specific act racist is, at least, too early. There will be plenty of time of that in the improbable future where this is passed and they ignore us. I mean it’s improbable that they pass it. It’s likely they will ignore us.

3 Likes

“Residents” would be fine.

7 Likes

Has any other legislator in any other country made a proposal to “help the people of (country’s name) and residents”? I admit, their past actions aren’t favorable, but we should at least wait until they make policy or an actual bill is proposed before calling someone racists based on a news reports, a Taiwan “News” report at that. Time would be better spent advocating for including residents before it gets to the stage where they’re voting on a bill. Y’know, that Taiwan democracy that makes everyone cheer Taiwan on.
That said, I don’t expect much. Foreign residents are excluded from almost all types of public benefits. There’s no reason to expect anything different.

Dude, the whole nationality debacle is the Kuomintang’s doing to begin with. Nationalism and Chinese exceptionalism is their schtick.

They’ve earned the name racist fucks.

3 Likes

They won’t be getting my vote!

Wait, I can’t vote.

Guy

9 Likes

It really depends on the country: Some countries specifically target residents, permanent residents, long-term residents or special types of residents (students, people who have reached a certain time paying taxes and / or social security schemes, …) in their government aid programs.

In general, I agree that helping all “residents” (without further restrictions) might be perceived as unfair. And a “resident” should never expect to be treated the same as a citizen or national.

However, if legislators chose to usually limit benefits to citizens (especially if that also includes non-resident-citizens) and exclude even long-term residents, then they shouldn’t expect that their country is perceived as open and welcoming.

3 Likes

Yes, many developed countries explicitly wrote laws that would include residents and stated so from the outset.

In the US, the discussion was whether illegal aliens would be eligible to receive whatever they were calling the cash ‘stimulus’.

2 Likes

Well, I disagree with your political theory and I blame the DPP more for that, but that’s for another thread. I just really think our racism trigger is too sensitive if we’re going to call an opposition lawmaker’s proposal for a relief package to his caucus racist because he didn’t add “and residents”. The news here is just someone suggested something and it got in the news because it had a big number in it. He just wants to be seen as offering more than the ruling party.
The amount that is getting passed includes foreign residents if all conditions apply. It was not specifically stated that foreign residents were included in that relief package and even CNA/FocusTaiwan reported that we were excluded. So I guess the DPP is also racist for not specifically saying from the beginning that an actual policy includes residents.

In every single mention of it? Because that’s what this is. One mention of a thing that won’t happen.
I’m sure, early in the talking phase, I can find an example of a Democrat not saying “American citizens and residents” in reference to the first stimulus bill proposal without being called a racist. But it’s not worth the time.

I think anytime any government gives anyone a handout they should take what they get and forget it if they don’t. And when you choose to live in a place where you can’t vote, there’s a limit to what you can expect.

I’d like more money, too. But racism is one thing, and making it mean everything makes it mean nothing.

1 Like

“help residents”

1 Like

I’m not sure in the case for many countries but, for the us, pretty much.

Based on previous experience, do you think they are either abbreviating for the sake of being concise in their press release or not planning to include foreign residents?

1 Like

Based on previous experience, I think most likely they won’t.

But some friends of Forumosa say they might

But it’s too early to call people racists based on something that hasn’t happened yet. But it’s easy.

1 Like

I’ve looked at several Chinese articles just now. Someone help me out here, does 全民普發新台幣1萬元 mean only citizens receive $10,000?

I haven’t found a text of the actual quote yet.

Another article reports he specifically said rich people should be excluded.

deleted

2 Likes