Taiwan/Taipei Must do/see list

Only in Taipei. :laughing:

I have tried them twice. My advice: Don’t.

I have tried them twice. My advice: Don’t.[/quote]

Really? I heard it was painful, but is that why or do you have other reasons?

[quote=“small potato”]Hello there, this is my first time post on this good website. I hope I’m not being offtopic with this one. I find this section is very useful, but I have a specific situation to ask you. I work in a foreign company and my managers boss just tell us that one of the really big heads is coming to visit next month. Everyone look at me because I study abroad before, and expect me to organize where to bring the big big head when he not visiting our factory and office. Please help me with good idea for where I can take him inside Taipei. The good ideas here are good for longer trips, but this guy only here for three days and we want to impress him while he is my country.

I find out he is divorced and about 50 year-old, but my wife say I should not take him to any special service place because it will not look good for my manager and her boss. She also does not like if I go there anyway. We already plan national pallace museum and nightmarket. PLease help me. Thank you for your attention.[/quote]

Where is he from?

My first bit of advice for you is not to call him the “big head.” Call him “the boss,” or the “company’s leader.” He’ll think you don’t like the shape of his head if you call him “the big head.” :slight_smile:

The difficulty of your situation is that he may in fact want to go to a “uniform club” and sing with the sexy girls there. On the other hand, he may also be quite offended if you try to take him there. You are going to have to find out what he likes to do by asking him when he gets here.

If I were you, I would think about a few places that provide good nightlife around town (e.g. sky bar at Yuan Chi, Irish bar at the Westin, the live jazz at China Pa), wait until he gets here, then ask him what he’d prefer to do. Give him a few choices (“Would you like to go and sing with us at a KTV, would you like to go to a skyline bar at the top of a hotel, or would you like to see a strip show?”). He may just tell you he’s tired and retire a bit early. That’s what many of my American clients prefer to do when visiting Taiwan–eat a nice dinner, have a few drinks and a cigar, maybe listen to some live jazz, then go back to the hotel around 11pm for some good rest.

Send me a private message if you need the Mandarin names for these place I’ve mentioned.

Good luck.

Excuse my naivete, but what exactly is a

[quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“Mr He”]

I have tried them twice. My advice: Don’t.[/quote]

Really? I heard it was painful, but is that why or do you have other reasons?[/quote]

It’s painful, they don’t get a real grip on your muscles, their skills aren’t that great, the surroundings can be very grubby and it’s often not cheaper than a much better massage at a decent gym.

[quote=“baytiger”]Excuse my naivete, but what exactly is a

Hope you don’t mind me bumping up an old thread.

I have a friend who’s coming to visit for a couple of days later this month and I’ll be showing her around. (She’s stopping over on her way to the US)

So far we are planning to shop (sogo and around zhong hsiao E rd. sec 4, breeze centre, 101, shinkong A9 and so forth, hsimenting, wu fen pu, etc etc)…

but I want to show her other places too… so far I am planning on taking her to-
CKS Memorial Hall
possibly Dan Sui… but she’s going to be there over the weekend and we both really hate crowds
the zoo maybe (i love going to the zoo)
Miao-kou and maybe also the one at Song-san
not too sure about National Palace Museum (she’s not really an artsy person and I’ve been there too many times already)
no to snake alley (we’re both scared to death of snakes)

Does anybody have other suggestions to offer? (she’s 22 if that helps)

thanks!

[quote=“She”]
no to snake alley (we’re both scared to death of snakes)[/quote]
Nice bit of irony with your forumosa handle :slight_smile:

If neither of you likes crowds, a nice hike up on Yangmingshan might be a way to decompress after your department store tour. (Not that there aren’t crowds on YMS on weekends, but relatively speaking…)

I’d say:

Deep fried TianBuLa is a must

Showing anyone from outside of Taiwan the amzingly long lines for doughnuts would surely get an interesting reaction

Pearl Milk Tea

Show them another foriegner, and make note of the bitterly cold stare down they’ll recieve ala “I was here first”

Go to DanShui, take the bus out of town toward JinShan, get off as soon as it’s rural enough, and hitch-hike the rest of the way…or, indeed hitch-hike anywhere…you’ll never get a better view of the local culture.

Get your old ladies mom to make you some Bird’s Nest Soup