Taiwan then and now

Kaohsiung.

1 Like

1 Like

Remember when people didnā€™t go interrupting you with dumbass memes all the time?

13 Likes

Was a lot better

Apparently from next year, all parking near MRT in Taipei city will be paid

Yeah, well, when I was a kid I rode a pony, but weā€™re all old now :idunno:

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to remember where I left my coat at work today. I got confused by the constantly changing weather.

Itā€™s over here at my place.

But Iā€™ll be fucked if I can find my hoodie.

1 Like

Young lady. Snort. I can only give you one ā€œ:heart:ā€ for that post.

Your post reminded me of so many canā€™t find stuff. Clothes, makeup, products for afro hair. Heck, I had deodorant sent to me.

One irony for me is, I would spend Sundays looking for bakery shops or go to 101 for a few Western foods to cook. Today, Iā€™m cooking at least 60% Asian dishes. While easy to find the ingredients I still have spend time travelling to get them. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Remember when you were in a good mood ,:grin:

Yeah the answer to ā€œwhere can I findā€ questions these days is mostly ā€œonlineā€. I can get anything on shopee sent to the convenience store by my place a few days later.

We have proper Western restaurants, not just decent attempts by ambitious English teachers

I canā€™t think of a single thing I canā€™t find anymore. I watch TV on Netflix or YouTube, read books on Kindle and listen to music on Spotify.

4 Likes

If I can ask what is the online delivery like? I received only one thing from Amazon during my time there. Are the delivery prices better?

For domestic or overseas?

Domestic, you just press a button on an app and they send it to 7-11 where you pay. You can find a lot of things on domestic services. Carrefour will deliver for free for orders over 799

Overseas, Taobao is great for home furnishing and cheap stuff, Asos(UK clothes retailer) will send for free for orders of more than 1200 and Amazon will send for a price.

But a lot of things can be got domestically now. The only thing I struggle to get in Taiwan is tonic water thats not too sweet. Carrefour occasionally has the big bottles but hard to get elsewhere.

1 Like

There still some problems with the ID number though. Itā€™s not so smooth for foreigners?

Good info!

Oh now you know! https://www.asos.com/

Have to wait for two or more weeks now. They used to use DHL but moved to the post office which slowed things down a lot

Also can try Zalora, which is i somewhere in Asia, but their interface is useless https://www.zalora.com.tw/

1 Like

I dont have this problem with shopee. I dont have it with the new Taobao in Taiwan. I used to have it with PChome, but I see no reason to use those dinosaur services anymore.

1 Like

Iā€™d heard about Taobao for quite some time, so just now thought Iā€™d check it out. I registered for an account. No problem, but had to use my passport number as it wouldnā€™t take my ARC number.

I searched for an item I wanted, found a nice set of baking/storage containers, and proceeded to order them. Everything was going well, until I had to put a shipping address. Thereā€™s an option to ship to a convenience store, with a list of stores. I chose the one closest to my house, and it required entering my information.

And thereā€™s where I hit the inevitable snag. I must enter a Taiwan ID number. It would not accept my ARC nor my passport number. So I couldnā€™t get past the delivery page.

Thanks for nothing, Taobao.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a problem caused by local convenience store companies really ? Or not?
Orange?