Taiwan then and now

My friend works there and I had the same problem, so contacted her. Its just unclear. You dont actually need to enter the Taiwan ID, its just optional if you look clearly. Just ignore it and complete the order

I had exactly the same issue. I told them should make clear.

If you look, only name and phone number are starred as being needed

8 Likes

Thank you, that worked. Although I was able to store the 7-11 address, I wasnā€™t able to use it for this order. Iā€™m guessing the package is too heavy or over the dimension limit?

reselect

However, I was able to have it sent to my houseā€“with free shipping!ā€“so everything worked out.

4 Likes

Thirty years ago we didnā€™t have the Internet. No MRT lines in Taipeiā€¦had to ride a motorcycle. No GPS. I was making NT$15k a month, but renting a small room in an apartment was only 3.5k. No real coffee shops, maybe a couple of fast-food restaurantsā€¦there was Grandma Nittis but I couldnā€™t come close to affording it. Just the three TV stations and ICRT on the radio. Living here was definitely more challenging; anybody who moans about how hard it was living in Taiwan just 20 years ago needs some slaps :wink:

(Insert snarky reply about 40 years ago, but I wasnā€™t here then so Iā€™ll leave it to some other old-timer to write)

5 Likes

A good selection and reasonably priced North American pumpkins for jack-O-lanterns. Jasonā€™s ainā€™t it!

Not very original.:sunglasses:
Between thirty years ago and twenty years ago there wasnā€™t a significant difference. In fact you practically described my life when I arrived here.
Between now and twenty years ago, itā€™s massive.

4 Likes

Right now Taiwan has an AI Unicorn in Appier just getting funding for 85 million
I suspect Gogoro can be the second unicorn
Taishang are moving back and the economy is growing at its fastest for ten years
Google invested in Taiwan to close to a billion dollars and acquired HTC R&D
Microsoft are investing heavily as are Intel and Amazon
There are forward thinking younger politicians coming through who really care about this country and want it to develop
The whole world is aware of China situation and consequently Taiwan

The Feng Shui seems to be turning (as long as there isnt a war)

3 Likes

Of course itā€™s not original, thatā€™s the point. But do go on and tell us all about what Taiwan was like 30 years ago, weā€™re all ears.

1 Like

Unlikely. They failed in their international strategy. Chinaā€™s Niu listed on the Nasdaq has taken the top spot. Gogoro will IPO but a billion US$ is a bit rich

No need to go that far back. Try 15-20 years ago

I have a funny anecdote to share on this topic :grinning:

Recently a friendly European guy in my neighbourhood , came over to introduce himself , howā€™s it going all that. Nice chap.

Within two minutes he had unleashed two major complaints thoughā€¦

1. I canā€™t find any good cheese. Iā€™m from X country (famously direct people ) and the cheese here is rubbish . Your cheddar cheese is rubbish. Okay the mature cheddar cheese isnā€™t bad. His mood lightens a bit then darkens as he looks over at his plate.

Thenā€¦

1. The bread. Iā€™m from X country the bread here is terrible ! I cannot find good bread. Look at this shit ā€˜points to his bagelā€™.

Iā€™m just sitting there astonished .
This guy is living really close to Taipei city.
In 2019.
I know itā€™s not Munich Germany but jeez man.

I tried to tell him all the places that you could get good bread and cheese but he went on a further rant for 15mins. I never got to tell him.

What can you do !

6 Likes

I will, but itā€™s bonus content only.

Yes the cheese milk bread pizza whatever gripe is so played. Played!

3 Likes

He wont last

3 Likes

If you look on Linkedin, it seems they are hiring for their international expansion now. Hard to say they have failed.

Plenty of coffee shops, but the coffee was overpriced and bitter as bile.

1 Like

Thus the word ā€œrealā€.

2 Likes

Heā€™s lasted a few years already. An experience he described as ā€˜being in jailā€™. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Ah, by ā€œrealā€ you meant ā€œgood.ā€

Oh you are getting snotty at me now :grin:.

ā€œnowā€???

2 Likes