Taiwan to distribute surplus tax revenue, NT$6,000 to every citizen & APRC holder

Shoulder held rocket propelled grenades are cheap, apparently:
http://www.military-today.com/firearms/rpg_7.htm
Perhaps the primary reason RPG-7s are so popular is the low cost—anywhere from $500-2 000 for a launcher and $100-500 per rocket.

I suspect we’re getting close to the line of post deletion here (in addition to being off topic :whistle:), but yes, you’re right that employers are required to send income details to the tax office (though some employers underdeclare too, from what I understand).

This is why I wrote “for those of use able to do so” in my other post above. I was referring to tutoring income, overseas income, and that kind of stuff, for those of us with open work permits (or even those of us without and doing tutoring etc. on the side).

Again, I’m not recommending or endorsing any of this. And personally I’m as honest as a government official in my tax affairs, so I wouldn’t really know.

6 Likes

Hypotheticals! I understand what you are talking about now, if you were talking about anything, which you were not of course. Thanks!

1 Like

I really wonder how much in taxes would be collected if everyone followed the law. I think the sum would be staggering. I know a guy who owns a mountain full of binglang trees. Does he pay taxes on his sales of binglang? You can guess. Does he participate in farmer subsidies on crops he does not pay taxes on? You can guess at that one as well.
Another guy ran a business for 20 years without paying taxes. When caught he scolded the tax officer who did not return for 2 years. Then when finally started paying taxes he significantly underreports. Nevermind he now owns five apartments/offices in Taipei.
And another guy who underreports taxes by 80% then the auditor says he must pay 30% more…but is then negotiated down by the guy to just 15% more.

1 Like

Good for the economy. More money in his pocket to spend on cars at the dealership. The dealership then pays more tax than they would otherwise.

Or they want to strengthen the local economy fabric.

No. Inflation would still happen as they are putting money into circulation

We saw that with the covid stimulus vouchers… Globally. Maybe this one isn’t really big enough for leading to that…?

1 Like

Not really. It comes after extra demand, no matter where the money comes from.

1 Like

Like when the hotel stimulus credits went out and the next thing the hotel prices doubled. They know they are going to get the money so why not screw people over

3 Likes

Did that really happen though? Honest question.

1 Like

It was just my own anecdotal observation since a lot of even crappy hotels were $3k a night minimum and nice hot spring hotels also went up a lot.
Source was me looking on hotel aggregators

4 Likes

Based off my last five years of travel expenditures, lodging prices went up drastically during the past three years and the amenities offered were cut due to “Covid”.

My company spends quite a bit on lodging due to us having projects island-wide so the info is easily available. These increases happened mostly in 3-star and up hotels, not much of a difference when we stayed in the sex hotels or 2-star and below.

6 Likes

Personally I’ve got some good deals but maybe due to unusual timing…? Not sure.

Hotel prices will come down soon. The main reason was staffing etc but these will come back to normal soon

If they are taking it out of a budget surplus, that is already in circulation.

1 Like

How bad it hurts inflation will depend on how they give it us. If it’s vouchers like before that we have to spend, then prices will rise more cos everyone will be buying shit. If it’s just cash directly into our bank accounts then it will have less of an effect cos financially stable people will just leave it there.

3 Likes

For those select few foreigners among us who may end up being eligible, I hope they give it to you in coal. Or Pizza Hut vouchers. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You keep saying that. But, it is not in circulation (M1 money supply) if the government decides to hold on to it. You could say they may put it in a bank and the bank might then lend money out to regular people, which might then increase M1 money supply (money in circulation).

It would be funny of they would set up a stimulus in Pizza Hut vouchers especially for Gold Card holders now :grin:

2 Likes