Taiwan to lift ractopamine restrictions

Is the real advantage not more points against china? That, in my eyes, is really thinking about the country instead of turning a blind eye until war actually happens.

Although trade is important and this will likely cause a lot of massive industries to come back rather than all these trade shows literally advertising on their banners “take advantage of our vietnamese factories and their fta” etc. Overall it seems like a good idea for a country like taiwan whose main purpose is manufactring and exporting.

If risking not being able to buy military equipment to protect yourself against the most dangerous country on earth because farmers will complain, meanwhile using the same chemical being banned from import…taiwanese people almost deserve whats coming. Im not ragging.on farmers, i am one. But.people need to wake up. Plus farmers are always subsidized quite heavily. Tsai has said already she will throw money at the meat farmers as well. They wont be hurting, though to be fair the pork industry here has a lot of saved bad karma in the bank, so i wont be shedding tears especially when it comes to allowing taiwan to defend itself.

The stuff on tv seems a lot like jealous KMT morons tricking simpletons to be angry at the green lady. This move was overall a really good strategic one it seems, despite what some pig farmers and kmt officials say.

Solution, add more ractopamine!

All this scairdy cat talk about ractopamine. Maybe it will make our muscles bigger, with zero side effects. Did any of you apparently circumspect commentators consider this scenario? Well perhaps some small side effects such as people randomly flying into uncontrollable rage, but in all possibly a net positive for society? All in all give it a chance…

The problem is that we don’t know. When it comes to public health, the best choice is to be cautious until we know the effects.

It’s the same thing with COVID-19. Back in January, every barely competent government knew that a new epidemic was going on in China. However, we don’t know how deadly or serious it would be if someone catches it. We don’t know how contagious it would be. We don’t know exactly how it was transmitted. We don’t know if it will magically disappear when summer comes.

The best decision any government could make at that point was to be cautious, try to keep the virus out and protect every citizens as long as possible, until we find out. Any government that chose to wait and see what would happen for economic concerns, unnecessarily lost hundreds of lives or more to the pandemic.

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

1 Like

Summer is here, it didn’t go, that we know.

A certain incumbent leader of a world superpower still insists COVID-19 would disappear (jedi mind trick wave) like a miracle as recently as Aug 24.

Ractopamine vs. COVID is a false comparison. One is a new virus and the other is a feed additive that has been used for years.

In terms of public health, when are the authorities here going to shut down Taichung Power Plant, enact rules to discourage smoking and protect people from second hand smoke, and find a way to deal with the rampant illegal dumping of sewage and pollution into Taiwan’s waterways?

1 Like

Then given that the US has had years of opportunity to study the effects of ractopamine as a feed additive on humans, perhaps you could find some peer reviewed studies on the subject?

2 Likes

I’d just like to see Taiwan reciprocate more.

Best solution is dont buy factory farmed meat. If people are stuck on this single additive, they are sorely missing the point on food safety and environmental issues…

Working in and with the pork industry previously for about 7 years turned me vegetarian. And not just for moral reasons.

3 Likes

Do tell…

Shoot me a question and ill answer it a best i can. I was involved with the farm end, not the processing bit onwards.

Interested in what kinds of additives were being used…ractopamine, salbutamol, antibiotics, etc.

1 Like

Still bitter about the fish referrendum it seems.

@Dr_Milker sorry, i have to lot to say on this subject, though a pharmaceutical list i cannot recall. I will write a more meanigful reply in the coming days, currently busy at work so only pop in for short bursts :slight_smile:

1 Like

No rush…I’ll try to cut down on my meat consumption in the meantime.

Hehe, certainly pork.

And seafood.

And chicken.

In that order. Haha

Brian Hioe at New Bloom provides some background and analysis of Tsai’s bold move:

Guy

Pretty boilerplate…I was expecting a little more Marxist analysis from Brian. :sunglasses: