Taiwan tops list of single teen moms

This should have a few legislators throwing chairs. :laughing:

[quote]Taiwan tops list of single teen moms

CHANGING TIMES: A report complied by the Chinese Christian Relief Association says there were between 500,000 and a million abortions performed last year [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003057291

[quote=“Soddom”]This should have a few legislators throwing chairs. :laughing:

[quote]Taiwan tops list of single teen moms

CHANGING TIMES: A report complied by the Chinese Christian Relief Association says there were between 500,000 and a million abortions performed last year [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003057291[/quote]

“Between 500,000 and one million.” So they’re just guessing, basically. How would a bunch of Christians know anyway ? I suppose they’ve got a figure for how much crack was sold in San Chong last year ? (“Er, between one and ten million grams. We think.”)

Well, they don’t have a figure because abortions are technically illegal here.

single teen mothers? Haven’t heard much about that.

Oh great! Highschool kids are out of the question (see ethical dilemma). Single Moms? Fair game, I’m going to be thinking about them all week!..and that (mixed emotionally) is all it is, hate to have my kids raised without Baba to kick 'em around or watching angry mom kicking baba around.

Great line from “Fight Club”

Brad Pitt: “Were a nation of men raised by single Mothers”

Chou

I’m glad to see that Taiwanbeer also noted how utterly meaningless their statistics are, as is so often the case in Taiwan. At least a half dozen statistics in the article (10.4% of boys and 13.9% of girls were found to have performed so and so deviate practice) do not even give the age group in question. Duh.

Only one statistic actually does give an age group (“male students in the fifth year of vocational school”). Sorry, I don’t have a clue how old such a person would be.

Whatever that quote is about “lies, damned lies and statistics” or whatever, is 1000% more true in Taiwan than in some other regions.

with “single moms” you get into 3) categories: 1) divorced kids living with their mom, 2) unmarried but baba is around and 3) baba bailed, or they arent even sure who he is…#3 is a recipe for disaster. A lot of sociologists/psychologists/anthro people/etc link youth gang activity and the high crime in the US to single mothers raising kids…if you look at the gang infested projects in major US urban centers…they are almost all “single-parent” households (aka the mom)…a lot of people account a lack of male role models to crime in certain communities. I hope these stats regarding taiwan are bloated or B.S…

According to Barry Glassner’s “The Culture of Fear”, the correlation between single-mother households and high crime rates is a lot of media hype, much like the nice dose we recently got about SARS.

Even if baba bailed, I would be more concerned about the large numbers of women on this island that stay married to womanizing drunks, and the impact this will have on their children.

We tend to forget that in Taiwan lots of kids are involved in gangs, although we like to call them triads and give them lofty, romantic names that don’t have the harsh ring of, say, ones you’d find in LA.

Side note: You’d think pro-abortionists would adopt Taiwan as their poster child. All these women breaking the local law to insist on their right to have an abortion.

Letter to editor today in Taipei Times re this issue:

taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003058155