Taiwan Tugou - any info on the web about them?

I’ve found sites in the past dedicated to the Taiwanese Tugou, but I can’t find any right now. And there is a large interest in them at present since I put up a video of mine on youtube. Anyway, people are asking about my dog’s breed, and I can’t find any info.

Here’s a Taipei Times article (not exactly a site dedicated to Formosan dogs, but it has info):

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003271280

There are some links here:
animalstaiwan.org/helpdogs.htm

Scroll down a bit to see what I mean.

After reading another post about a puppy, I have been reading through this website http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/azawakh.htmagain, this time about different breeds instead of just about my own and was looking for the Taiwanese “Tugou”, just out of interest, however I can’t find it so was wondering if it is a breed, just a mix or is actually a breed, just not recognised?

I like the tugou as they are independent and short haired so are really very low maintenance dogs and added to their great fun personalities and active nature I think they deserve recognition.

During my search I also happened upon this dog from Southern Sahara (tuareg, same link as above), what a beauty!

That deserves some serious respect, any dog that chases and kills hyenas is :notworthy: :notworthy: So anyways, what’s your favourite breed and why? There’s hundreds listed on that site and I was hoping for some direction on which to check out.

‘Recognized breeds’ usually just means a breed recognized by the official kennel club of some western country. There are plenty of traditional dog types around the world that are not recognized by the American Kennel Club or whatever. That doesn’t mean the breed doesn’t exist. They are often far older breeds than some of the ones that are ‘recognized’. It just means that there aren’t enough of them in the USA (or other western country), and that there are not enough breeders specializing in that type. To get a breed ‘recognized’ is a formal process. The Tibetan mastiff is an old breed, for example, but was only recognized in the last couple of years by the American Kennel Club. When the first examples were introduced at the Westminster Dog Show, there was great interest shown in the ‘new’ breed, and a lot of enthusiasm.

Usually if I wanted a pet I would just get one from the SPCA or an animal rescue organization, but I would also like to be the one who got a traditional breed recognized in the West.

[quote=“bababa”]
Usually if I wanted a pet I would just get one from the SPCA or an animal rescue organization, but I would also like to be the one who got a traditional breed recognized in the West.[/quote]

So you want to try with the Tuguo?

I am also with you on adopting from the SPCA - the Mrs is forever telling people not to buy from breeders, but go for adoption. I also adopted mine (ours) from an animal shelter, but even then the breeds are a useful reference point.

For starters, I like terriers because they look like dogs to me and the smaller ones are a good size - not too small, yet small enough to travel with. However, after adopting one, I would probably recommend most people against them since they are stubborn as a muck and are always trying to be the boss - not for the weak willed, my wife is a little too caring to be a terrier owner. They need tough love (not physical harm, but you have to be on your guard against them acting up and nip this in the bud). The Mrs tends to allow these minor indescretions and then wonders why the dog is jumping on her again… So in some ways you never stop training a terrier.

Saying that, I grew up around my friends’ labs and collies and I find my terrier is fiercely loyal in comparison and she knows when she is being naughty, which is very cute! (can’t believe I used that word, … time to leave taiwan!)

I would say it’s the wife who needs more training. :whistle:

[quote=“itakitez”][quote=“bababa”]
Usually if I wanted a pet I would just get one from the SPCA or an animal rescue organization, but I would also like to be the one who got a traditional breed recognized in the West.[/quote]

So you want to try with the Tuguo?
[/quote]I don’t know about that! The traditional dog breeds of a country are suited to that country. Just like those dogs from Mali - they’re beautiful, but clearly suited to a hot, dry climate where they will be fighting hyenas. Maybe they wouldn’t be all that happy in Saskatchewan - embarrassingly enough, the Saskatchewan ‘tuguo’ is a sled dog, built to withstand -40 degree winters.

[quote]
Saying that, I grew up around my friends’ labs and collies and I find my terrier is fiercely loyal in comparison and she knows when she is being naughty, which is very cute! (can’t believe I used that word, … time to leave taiwan!)[/quote]
Yeah, I know what you mean. My previous dog was a Lhasa Apso - cute but tough and agressive. I was not a suitable owner for it - the dog was badly behaved but cute, so his naughty behaviour just seemed funny to me. He disciplined me; I didn’t do so well getting him to behave.

Yes, definitely the hardest part of owning a dog is being the discipliner.

Since the tugou has already been covered I only have this link to meaningfully add

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7631/taxe.swf