Taiwan Typhoons 2010

Is it just me or is there a monster of a typhoon brewing out east?

It ain’t a smudge on the satellite’s lens.

Forecasts have it moving northward though, so it’s unlikely to make a visit here. The cold front that’s moved in over the last 24 hours will keep it at bay.

Yeah, fortunately for us it’s heading for Japan.
asiatcforecast.co.cc/?name=CHABA

Please typhoon is to be avoiding South Korea and thank you. I am live on coast.

(Very much long day of teaching…Englishee break.)

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]Is it just me or is there a monster of a typhoon brewing out east?

[/quote]

Set for Okinawa, I think.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yeah, fortunately for us it’s heading for Japan.
asiatcforecast.co.cc/?name=CHABA[/quote]

Oh goody.

What about this one beneath us?

tw.weather.yahoo.com/satellite.html?t=s3p

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]What about this one beneath us?

tw.weather.yahoo.com/satellite.html?t=s3p[/quote]
No idea, but it’s probably what’s causing all this damn rain in this damn cold. :fume:

Traditionally November foons in Taiwan are not too bad and are rare as well.

:ohreally: Yeah, and traditionally the man is the head of the household in Taiwan, but we all know how that works…

The first is truth, the second is/was a fallacy :slight_smile:

A record quiet typhoon season
While the Atlantic has had its third busiest season on record this year, it has been a record quiet year for tropical cyclones in both the Eastern and Western Pacific. In the Western Pacific, it is currently the quietest typhoon season on record, according to statistics computed by forecaster Paul Stanko at the NWS office on Guam. On average, by this point in the season, there should have been 24.5 named storms, 16 typhoons, and 4 supertyphoons (storms with 150+ mph winds.) So far in 2010, there have been just 14 named storms, 8 typhoons, and 1 supertyphoon. The record lows for the Western Pacific (since 1951) are 18 named storms, 9 typhoons, and 0 supertyphoons. We have a good chance of beating or tying the records for fewest named storms and fewest typhoons, since there are no current threat areas, and none of the models is predicting tropical cyclone development over the next ten days.

But does this mean that next year we’ll see a record high?

Nope. You can’t easily get a handle on this stuff so far out. Look at the Apr-2010 prediction: