Taiwan UP

Oddly, I saw it as kinda snappy. As in “Man up”. Fill yourself up with Taiwan spirit. What’s your NYR? I am gonna Taiwan up.

Or maybe it’s just me???

Maybe they originally had “TAIWAN - UP TO HERE” and just ran out of space.

Or maybe “TAIWAN UP YOURS” ?? And ran out of room?

Taiwan Uttar Pradesh?

So this is actually being used beyond just the 101 fireworks? And we’re supposed to do what with the “UP” part? Shout or say “you-pee”? Either way, man… two letters and they still manage to Chinglish it.

Ah well. I can use it in class to review capitalization and typing blunders.

I don’t think it’s Chinglish at all.
We need to Taiwan UP in 2010. This could even be bigger than tweetup.
We’ll be upping everything soon.
Forumosa UP!

[quote=“twonavels”]I don’t think it’s Chinglish at all.
Forumosa UP![/quote]

Two Navels UP!!!

Thats totally what I thought of, like those old 7-up commercials where they shouted “up yours”. The people at the party I was at started saying “Taiwan up yours” to each other for the rest of the night. I was amused. :laughing:

[quote=“twonavels”]I don’t think it’s Chinglish at all.
Forumosa UP![/quote]
:laughing:

I enjoyed that!

Thats better than a lot of third world countries out there by the way where the government is more interested in asserting their power or making money and don’t really care about the people or the infrastructure of the country.[/quote]

Yep, not to mention safety issues. I was just reading that during the year end celebrations back home, more than a thousand lives were lost, as a result of drunk drivers, fights, drownings -people take to the beaches in hordes- and the ever popular aggravated assaults.

As to the Taipei 101 slogan, hope next year they go with Spanish instead: Viva Taiwan! :discodance:

Thats better than a lot of third world countries out there by the way where the government is more interested in asserting their power or making money and don’t really care about the people or the infrastructure of the country.[/quote]

Yep, not to mention safety issues. I was just reading that during the year end celebrations back home, more than a thousand lives were lost, as a result of drunk drivers, fights, drownings -people take to the beaches in hordes- and the ever popular aggravated assaults.

As to the Taipei 101 slogan, hope next year they go with Spanish instead: Viva Taiwan! :discodance:[/quote]
That would’ve been much better.

“Viva” is Spanish??? :astonished:
They like to shout that at political rallies (fists raised) in South Africa. Also for football, as in “Viva Bafana!”

I saw it on Divea’s photos and though it was very Taiwanese! But I guess if they want to have an English slogan, then they need on simple enough for every Taiwanese to say, right? Every Taiwanese can say “up,” and will likely understand it to mean wishes for economic recovery.

Yes, it sounds a bit silly in English, but I bet they didn’t have us, or the rest of the world, in mind when they came up with it, really. What do you want to bet that it didn’t even occur to them that maybe the enitre world would see pictures of their tower all lit up for NYE?

Up Taiwan!

:ponder:

I still don’t geddit. A two-word phrase in English ending in ‘up’ usually has a derogative or negative sense to it, i.e. cock-up, foul-up, bugger-up etc. Consequently one seldom sees anyone trying to use it to convey a positive impression. Purists would say that there can be no comparison as my examples are hyphenated. So how might it look in Chinese? 台灣長大的? Gosh, that doesn’t sound too good either. Nevermind. I will be there in a couple of weeks, and I am sure that all will look just the same.
Happy New Year from a snowy UK.

[quote=“economy ah”]I still don’t geddit. A two-word phrase in English ending in ‘up’ usually has a derogative or negative sense to it, i.e. cock-up, foul-up, bugger-up etc. Consequently one seldom sees anyone trying to use it to convey a positive impression. Purists would say that there can be no comparison as my examples are hyphenated. So how might it look in Chinese? 台灣長大的? Gosh, that doesn’t sound too good either. Nevermind. I will be there in a couple of weeks, and I am sure that all will look just the same.
Happy New Year from a snowy UK.[/quote]

I think it is supposed to mean 台灣加油 or 台灣起來

Please… give them a break. English isn’t their native language and you can’t expect them to get it right. I mean how would you feel if someone keeps making fun of you because you keep saying dumb things in Chinese (and many Americans do that)?

I don’t make fun of Taiwanese who do their best to speak English, but surely if you are going to use English in something that will be seen all around the world you should check with a native speaker first. If you were going to use Chinese in the same way, you would check with a Chinese speaker first, surely.

Why don’t they just use an auspicious Chinese character like 虎 or 福 instead of their 台式英文?

I think its ok, simple and plain and fairly easy to get across a meaning of some sort.

TAIWAN UP.

LIke in TAIWAN UP your life.
Whatever, its simple and its workable.

Simple works !! LIke 7-UP

I don’t think the slogan is particularly bad. But Taipei is supposedly aspiring to be an international city. English is THE international language. Governments - we are not talking about individual people here - should be able to produce information in other languages to a professional standard. Taiwan seems unable to do this.

Hiring one westerner to proof read everything would make a huge difference to the feel of this city. In the meantime, they deserve to be laughed at.

For example: watch out for (the?) stray dog! Yes, instead of just catching him we find it easier to erect hundreds of these signs.

Ok, I seen Americans with chinese tatoo where the order is all messed up and it sounds funny when you read it… or what about the guy who had a tatoo that he thought it said tiger but instead said something really bad.

Are you actually going to sit there and condemn Taiwan’s English after composing that syntax/ creative spelling? Irony can be a bitch, yeah?