Taiwan UP

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“TVBS on 1-3-2010”]…
101發言人:「那是因為版面有限,打出的字也不能超過7個字母。」
…[/quote][/quote]
Translation: 101 spokesperson said, “Because of limited space, no more than 7 letters can be displayed.”

Uh…

Taiwan UP
123456 78

:laughing:

I guess “per line” not in total?

TAIWAN
JUMBO

TAIWAN
KAZZA!

TAIWAN
GUNGHO

TAIWAN
GET IT

TAIWAN
DO IT

TAIWAN
FTW

TAIWAN
WINNER

TAIWAN
CAN DO

TAIWAN
ROCKS

TAIWAN
FREE

TAIWAN
LOVE

TAIWAN
HELLO

TAIWAN
MAMAMIA

lots they could do

UP WITH
TAIWAN

Tie one WHAT up?

I knew this “English as an international language” crap was going to cause problems. Why can’t Taiwanese people be creative with English like “foreigners” (I HOPE he means “native speakers”).

They can, 老師, they can… as long as they know how to speak English properly in the first place.

I guess “per line” not in total?[/quote]

Taiwan

UP

[quote=“sjcma”]
Uh…

Taiwan UP
123456 78

:laughing:[/quote]

I guess “per line” not in total?[/quote]

Taiwan

UP
12[/quote]

Yup, thats exactly what I meant. Thanks for illustrating :slight_smile:

Taiwan
WHERE?

Taiwan
NO
NOT
THAT
ONE

Saw on Taiwan news how THEY were correcting Chinglish sentences on ad boards on the Mainland.
One good advice I red here was hiring English proofreaders. Governments , private companies , they all would look simply "better.
Up seems to be down already on 101 isn’t it?

I’m simply so impressed with the brilliance and hours of thought that went into ‘Taiwan UP’ that I made it my signature. :laughing:

This thread shows that an ill-considered slogan can all too easily attract widespread criticism, damaging and obscuring the undoubtedly good intentions of the sponsors. Their wish to promote a feel-good factor is understandable and courageous, but it is all too easy to make expensive and embarrassing mistakes that are difficult to rectify. Straying into an area bordering on mild social design is a high-risk strategy. I am not clear whether they used a good PR company, or whether it was a DIY job. If the latter, lets hope that they will in future use an experienced outfit which might be called something like ‘City Image’ or, well, I dunno, something similar to that.

Of course, the above postulate may be wrong or only half right, or just parochial. Putting ‘Taiwan’ on one of the most iconic and recognizable buildings in Asia seems superfluous, and would suggest that the Government’s target audience lies beyond the Far East. If this was their objective, then they have achieved world-wide coverage and inserted Taiwan and 101 into the consciousness of millions, and for free. I think that this interpretation is the more attractive of the two, and is in keeping with what appears to be their new policy to brush up Taiwan’s image and display it more prominently and to the international community. And if that is the case, then I think that ‘Taiwan UP’ is not bad, probably rather good.

I think a certain Thai capital should adopt this slogan as well.

“Taiwan Go! Go ! Go! Add Gas!” was too long so was “Taiwan Fucked Up” so they took out the “fucked”.

[quote=“ceevee369”]
One good advice I red here was hiring English proofreaders.[/quote]

snicker

I knew this “English as an international language” crap was going to cause problems. Why can’t Taiwanese people be creative with English like “foreigners” (I hope he means “native speakers”).

They can, 老師, they can… as long as they know how to speak English properly in the first place.[/quote]

Now we know why their students tell us: you do not understand Chinese as well as we do, that’s why we are writting the English. You do not understand the meaning…

:cry:

An English teacher from Alabama that I know thinks its a play-on words for “Tie one up.” I’ve never heard that phrase before, but he insists its a popular slang phrase in the south akin to “go for it!”.

Sure. "Heh, heh! Them funny wee fellows over there in Thailand sure have a tall building. Pity they couldn’t have spent an extra 10 bucks on someone to come up with a less arseholish slogan! :laughing: "
Aint’ NO such thing as bad publicity, eh? :laughing: