Taiwan & US tax optimization for jobs in rural Taiwan

Ok. … How do Americans handle taxes. In a rural area, the chance of getting a regular job that withholds taxes is rare. That leaves gig work. But doesn’t that mean self-employment tax up front from both Taiwan and the United States? Is there a way to be some kind of entity to listen lesson burden?
Do online language schools offer regular employment here in Taiwan or is it independent contractors.
I am an AP RC holder so do not need any special Foreigner only work permit. Just a regular taxable job is what I would like.
Please suggest some reputable domestic online schools one can apply to. I do not want anything to do with international employment only local employment.

If you’re not living in the US then you can use Foreign Tax Credit or Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for income tax

For self employed tax, from my understanding, this only really applies if you are billing US clients who will send you a 1099. If you do self employed work in Taiwan with a Taiwan person/company, you wouldn’t owe US FICA/self employment tax, you could owe income tax but it should be taken care of with either FTC or FEIE

1 Like

This is correct. If you’re paying SS on US income then you can do estimated, quarterly payments. You can pay on the IRS website using your US bank account.

1 Like