Taiwan versus South Korea (infrastructure in general, green areas, etc.)

That may be because Linkou was in fact part of Taoyuan before it was handed over from above to what was then Taipei County. Wiki says this happened in 2010.

Riding the Taoyuan MRT rail line from the Xinbei basin up to the Linkou plateau . . . or zooming along in a bus on Highway 1 up from Taipei City to Linkou . . . you will notice a change in geography from the basin up, with a greenbelt separating the zones.

Guy

1 Like

Should be yea, one tw girl told me she did 7/11 job in country side of Japan and boss provided her small apartment. She said with over hours pay was above 40k twd.

I know a lot of Taiwanese, who did working holidays abroad. All of them very satisfied with working conditions and would go back in a second.This tell a lot how cheap tw bosses really are.

1 Like

There are lots of rural areas in Suffolk county. Long island is typically not considered part of NYC though. Usually just the burroughs are.

2 Likes

Nice link , and some history ! Hsinchu has also Hakka past, and still some good food too in the old market area in town.

2 Likes

I had some photos of the cheap Hong Kong cafe, I will go visit a Korean one nearby for lunch this week (near Culture Park and my favorite Carrot cake place), try get photos of the Korean tofu pot I like

4 Likes

Hsinchu has ok food

Not as bad as Taiwanese make out

For those with the flexibility to do so, the key point is to eat in Hsinchu’s old city center.

The much newer science park area is (or at least was) a culinary disaster. :joy:

Guy

1 Like

Jinshan street (the Taofang community next to the science park) has great food. It has some of the best Indian food I’ve had in taiwan(servicing Indian engineers)

Tbh

I found food similar in Hsinchu to anywhere

Good to know! I wonder if @DunderMifflin has tried any of these places?

Guy

I have worked in japan as well. I could tell tales of that, as wellas the opposite. My experience is that in japan they arent efficient (regardless of what the common myths are). they are safe. even here I have yet to see a contract with so many people doing 1 persons job :joy:

loads of people fantasize about things. my wife was obsessed with Japan. that’s why we went there briefly to live and work ,and for me study their agriculture. after that experience she ended up quite disliking the reality of Japan and now just continues to consume the fantasy of it. I think that’s the same as everywhere. But Japan has a strong draw to taiwnaese.

We were pushed longer than ever in Taiwan. never harder, but ALWAYS longer. considering Iwas a company and taking vacation at that time it annoyed me. butthe experiences had to play out. the differences we found was that japan expected it and took advantage but were always polite about it. Taiwans Japanese/Chinese hybridization really plays out poorly in this sense because they expect it but also do the usual rude chinese shit. But without much actual force. so people here quit a lot…not great. but it’s not like japan is some dreamland of opportunity. the handful of professional friends we have there work for essentially free for years just to get the chance of a company job. that is unheard of here! well, it is shorter here :joy:

taiwan is the better balance in my opinion if comparing between japan Taiwan. korea I have only visited, so my opinion is more bias due to listening to korean friends/business acquaintances. seems worse, but I have no idea.

4 Likes

All he has are these meaningless anecdotes that prove nothing.

?

Yes they do appear to be anecdotes. I guess forumosa.com’s peer review process and SSCI journal indexing status are slipping. :rofl:

Guy

5 Likes

Cool to read your experience. We talked about lower end of market jobs for minimal wages. Compare your experiences with south east Asian people in Taiwan. Or Taiwanese people doing 7/11 type of job.

As well didn’t find Japan to be convenient at all, but their engineering is very good.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Hsinchu name and romanization

My cousin said the food in Shinzu in general is expensive and crappy.

Your cousin has either only been a tourist or only stayed the part of town that was still farmland 10 years ago, and got turned into a Taipeiers enclave which they refuse to venture out from.

One difference I experience is lower Condom use in Taiwan, in Japan seems quite higher

"Poll finds 67% have sex without condom "

Very nice
images

Seems Taiwanese like it (no condom)

Korea has nicer baseball parks