Taiwan Weather Forecasters Are Where?

I regularly get my weather report from here:
Weather
However I see they are once again predicting several days of rain so I look out my window and…

Perhaps they should consult the fortune tellers or rub pine cones like my grandmother!

I’ve noticed this too. When I checked the office was near the president’s palace in downtown Taipei. Thus we can only conclude the building has no windows and the staff are not allowed to go outside. My guess is they have to predict the weather from the Internet satellite photo alone. Progress is a wonderful thing

Taiwan weather satellite is a cool site for this.
A second opinion on taipei’s weather.

Another thought, since the earthquake stuff is all at the same site, perhaps the weather forecasters are locked in the basement with the seisemographers?

Coming soon - Juba’s earthquake forecast service. I will post in this forum if I believe there is an earthquake coming in the next 24 hours. Today my forecast is that there will be NO earthquake in the next 24 hours. (7 May 2002 1500 hrs)

I have to say, to be a weather forecaster in Taiwan you would have to be practically clairvoyant. Consider that I have driven from sunny Ta-an district to the monsoon-like conditions in Hsin-Yi district more days than I can count. I can’t imagine what a nightmare it would be to be a meteorologist in Taiwan. What should they do? give a different forecast for hour-long intervals in each district of the city?
Probably they know they can never get it right - so they just say rain, then they are guaranteed of being right at least 50% of the time!
Still no excuse for not looking out the window.

Yesterday being a case in point. Drove into the Hsinhai tunnel on the Xindian side, pissing down, water over the wheel rims. 100 yards through the tunnel, emerge into bright sunshine, dry roads.

quote:
Originally posted by m_lewis: I have to say, to be a weather forecaster in Taiwan you would have to be practically clairvoyant...

If you think Taiwan’s weather is unpredictable, you’ve never been to Britain, not to mention Ireland. This is a description of the weather in Dublin:

quote[quote]Today's weather was (as Simon Dedalus says) "as unpredictable as a baby's bottom," or, as a taxi driver said (chauvinists to a man) "the weather's like a woman - can't decide whether to smile or cry." (I'm telling you, the people here are like nothing I've ever met with 'til now). Anyway, it was sunny and warm today. It was also rainy, windy, and cold. It seemed to take it in turns, too, so no sooner would I decide it was too warm and take off my coat, but the sun would go in and it would turn nasty. Right now we have dark clouds over us pouring down big drops of rain, and we've got slanting sunlight coming in from the west where the sun is setting, and we've got great cold gusts of wind ...[/quote]

Source: Greetings from Dublin’s Fair City!

quote[quote] Drove into the Hsinhai tunnel on the Xindian side, pissing down, water over the wheel rims. 100 yards through the tunnel, emerge into bright sunshine, dry roads [/quote]

Ive also noticed that it starts raining every time I drive to Xindian. Xi Zhi and Jilong are other classic rainy spots.

Bri