Taiwan: where to teach

I intend going to Taiwan in about a month and am going to look for work as a teacher. However, i am undecided as to where to go. I am looking to make as much money as possible in a 12 month period. i know people work in the big cities but are jobs better paid in more remote areas and if so where. thank you

You’ll find it difficult to either get work or get enough work to make money in the remote areas. Stick to either Taipei (surrounding area) or Taichung. Best chance of making money in those two cities and surrounding areas. This isn’t to say you won’t find work elsewhere, but it is much harder to do and the hours typically aren’t as long.

Thank you. i understand that a multui entry visa can be converted to a working visa without having to leave taiwan. Where can I get this visa. I tried in KL but no luck as irish citizens are now entitled to a three month visa on entry at no cost. Do you know if Bangkok or Singapore is easier. I know Hong kong is the easiest but it does no suit to go ther. Thanks for the help.

Enda

you can change your visa-free landing visa into a working visa here without having to leave the country. you just need to convert it to a visitor visa in Taiwan first (which costs about $2000nt) so there really is no need to apply for a visitor visa.

it is really simple to do. schools will generally know, but feel free to PM me if you need help

Taipei County seems to have more jobs. You won’t be in the city but then again you won’t be far away. Maybe you can take some extra cash to buy a car and roam where ever you want. That is unless you have to work Saturdays. Then you might want to spend your Sunday sleeping or recovering from your drunken night to relieve your Engrish teaching stress.

What do you mean by “much money”?

It’s unrealistic to think you are going to make much money in your first year unless you are incredibly lucky. Starting pay, which will generally apply to any new person regardless of previous experience elsewhere, sucks. Further, it generally takes time to ramp-up the number of hours that you work to get to the point where you can make decent money.

What do you mean by “much money”?

It’s unrealistic to think you are going to make much money in your first year unless you are incredibly lucky. Starting pay, which will generally apply to any new person regardless of previous experience elsewhere, sucks. Further, it generally takes time to ramp-up the number of hours that you work to get to the point where you can make decent money.[/quote]

Agreed. If quick money is your goal, go to South Korea or the Middle East.

I found I had more hours and less reason to commute when I lived in a remote area. I also saved more than when I was living in a big city. The main problem with living somewhere remote is you will often need to go to a big city for many home comforts. Everyone has a different experience so there are many different answers to your question.