Taiwanease.com, serving the international community

On forumosa everyone posts in their underpants, whereas on taiwanease they post completely naked. They’ve kind of taken the online fora experience a step further.[/quote]

man, thank you. that was all I was looking for. was totally afraid to post stuff here since I love going au naturel, lol :slight_smile:

btw ironlady, it was just an innocent question. I thought someone may know, since, like you said “there’s some overlap in the user base.” If it turns out someone has an answer then great, if not, it was a harmless question and again like you mentioned, I can always check it out myself. It’s always hard to tell from text, but if I upset you then you should know that was absolutely not my intention.

Yeah on Taiwanease we go commando.

I’m out there, and I’m loving every minute of it!

[quote=“Rockefeller”]
btw ironlady, it was just an innocent question. I thought someone may know, since, like you said “there’s some overlap in the user base.” If it turns out someone has an answer then great, if not, it was a harmless question and again like you mentioned, I can always check it out myself. It’s always hard to tell from text, but if I upset you then you should know that was absolutely not my intention.[/quote]

Not at all. It just seemed a bit to me like asking Pepsi for information about Coke, or something. Or maybe like asking Pepsi for information about a startup microbrew soft drink. I only drink Pepsi so I really don’t have anything to tell you about different beverages. :slight_smile: Drank some microbrew awhile back and got sick from it, so I stopped.

im probably dumber then most but i tried to find the forums on taiwanease a few times and i couldnt . . anyone shed any light?

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“ironlady”]The two sites are separate sites. This one has been in existence (under different names) since the late 1990s. Taiwanease is a new endeavor founded by a guy who was formerly on Forumosa.com.

Since both are Taiwan-oriented sites, there’s some overlap in the user base.[/quote]

so both serve the same purpose? or do they have different functions.[/quote]

One has a wider user base (Forumosa). One primarily consists of moderators as the main users (Taiwanease). One specializes in child-care/family oriented forums (Taiwanease). One is a little more laissez faire to contrarian viewpoints (Forumosa).

My :2cents:

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“Rockefeller”]
btw ironlady, it was just an innocent question. I thought someone may know, since, like you said “there’s some overlap in the user base.” If it turns out someone has an answer then great, if not, it was a harmless question and again like you mentioned, I can always check it out myself. It’s always hard to tell from text, but if I upset you then you should know that was absolutely not my intention.[/quote]

Not at all. It just seemed a bit to me like asking Pepsi for information about Coke, or something. Or maybe like asking Pepsi for information about a startup microbrew soft drink. I only drink Pepsi so I really don’t have anything to tell you about different beverages. :slight_smile: Drank some microbrew awhile back and got sick from it, so I stopped.[/quote]

It’s the same mods, its the same users. (OK there’s a few stauncher posters who don’t cross-post but not many.) The coke vs pepsi thing doesn’t really wash. Hell, Maoman even promotes his site on here as evidenced by this very thread. Last I checked pepsi wasn’t posting ads on coke’s website.

[quote=“the bear”]

It’s the same mods, its the same users. [/quote]

I don’t think it’s the same users. And these graphics would back that up! :smiley:

Here you go: taiwanease.com/en/forums/

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“the bear”]

It’s the same mods, its the same users. [/quote]

I don’t think it’s the same users. And these graphics would back that up! :smiley:

[/quote]

what I mean is the taiwanease user base is drawn from forumosa’s. It’s the same demographic, there’s no market differentiation (insert more random marketing garble-speak here) except for the parenting stuff. There may be some unique user’s at Taiwanease who weren’t originally flobsters but prolly not many.

I don’t believe that t.com was intended to draw on a distinct or different user base. I believe it was founded with the intention to “succeed” on its own, and what happened ultimately to F.com really was not of concern. I never visit or read t.com so I can’t speak to whether or not there is any discussion of F.com affairs there, but for the most part, there is little or no discussion of t.com here on F.com. I started out with an account on t.com but found that the atmosphere and discussion was not consistent with my needs, which could be more than adequately met on F.com, so I opted out.

So in my case, at least, it’s not the same mods. I don’t claim that my posts or modding effort have that much value, but any value they do have is going to stay on F.com, given my experiences with both. Your mileage may vary.

:bow: That was no mistake. It’s impossible to talk about where Taiwanease came from without mentioning Forumosa. It’s the same with Oriented.com and Forumosa. Our history is a part of who we are, and I’m very proud of my history with Forumosa (and Oriented too, for that matter!)

The two sites are separate sites. This one has been in existence (under different names) since the late 1990s. Taiwanease is a new endeavor founded by a guy who was formerly on Forumosa.com. Since both are Taiwan-oriented sites, there’s some overlap in the user base.[/quote]
Hi Rockefeller, that’s an honest question! Taiwanease.com has forums, yes, but they’re nowhere on the same level with regards to traffic as forumosa.com, at least not yet! I’m going to do my best to grow all aspects of the site, though, and this is where things get a little dicey, at least with regards to friendship, social politics, business acumen, etc. On the one hand, I’m a firm believer in the “Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly” philosophy. I know a lot about forums and how to run them, so this is obviously something I’m going to continue doing. On the other hand, Forumosa and the English language forums started out being pretty much the same in terms of how they were being moderated and administrated. I think this will change as my influence on what Forumosa is today wanes and as Taiwanease.com develops. Goose Egg, and whoever he picks to be site admin will naturally have an effect on how Forumosa develops. This is all as it should be. I don’t want to talk too much about the English forums at Taiwanease.com though, at least not here. It’s not necessary.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of other cool things happening at Taiwanease.com that are separate from the forums, chief among them our Directory App which we’re hoping to get back from Apple in the next week or so. We also have just made an agreement with the French Chamber of Commerce to start a French language forum on our site. Our Chinese language forums are also unique - I don’t know of any other international site in Taiwan that has them. We’re proud of everything that we’re doing and we want to do it well. When Gus and I parted ways, we also divided up our assets. Taiwanted.com was one of them, and I’m glad that we’ve finally gotten that developed. We have a lot of content that we are going to be putting up in the articles section, and we are also sponsoring some pretty cool social events, to which all members of the international community are welcome to attend, but especially Forumosans.

Ironlady asserts that I am just “a guy who was formerly on Forumosa.com”. I beg to differ. I was the co-owner and the site administrator, and with the notable exception of Goose Egg, there is no other individual that has put anywhere near as much time, love, and energy into this site as me. I purposefully made Forumosa a site where we could talk about ANY other site, including Tealit; where links to other websites were welcome; where we promoted other people’s sites, and other people’s blogs. I even remember when Tealit’s admin posted on Forumosa. He was part of the community too, at least until he erased his posts and tried to blame it on Forumosa Admin. (Fortunately, we were able to reconstruct the erased posts and locked them so that they couldn’t be erased again.) I believe that Forumosa is STILL this open, welcoming kind of site. If it isn’t, if things have changed, I would be sad to hear it, because for years and years I worked hard at keeping it welcoming and supportive of other sites. Other sites, (Dave’s ESL Cafe, Tealit) routinely delete links to other sites with no explanation. As site admin, I made sure that Forumosa was always better than that. I believe it still is.

Last year, when I announced that I was leaving Forumosa as an admin, I said:

That hasn’t changed. I’m still a Forumosan, still the second-longest most active user on this board, and until very recently, one of the top ten posters on this site! (Thanks a lot, Chris!) :laughing: I still think this site is one of the best things I’ve ever been involved in, and just because I’m working on something else now doesn’t mean that I don’t feel at home here. I do. I helped build this site, helped it grow to what it is today, and I feel comfortable now enjoying it as an ordinary user, just the way I wanted others to enjoy it when I was an owner.

watch out Maoman meister or I may come and haunt your taiwanease site :smiley:

[i][color=#008000]Mod note: Anything not about “Taiwanease is in the Taipei Times Today” will be sent to Temp. If anyone wants to bash T.com, bring up past history, has beef with Maoman, T.com, the mods on T.com, the color and fonts on T.com, the forum/directory style on T.com, basically, if anyone has something to say/complain about T.com that is not what the original thread title is, and is degrading, demeaning, insulting, mocking, passive-aggressive, etc. etc. will be sent to Temp.

It’s not my place to defend T.com/Anthony/Maoman. He does that very well on his own. Plus, there is no need to defend anything. Two sites split and went their separate ways, nothing lasts forever. Both sites are thriving. Both sites overlap in some ways. Both sites have different demographics, so they cater to different needs.

I will send off topic posts to Temp. You can continue your bashing there if yall prefer.

Peace,
914[/color][/i]

[quote=“914”][i][color=#008000]Mod note: Anything not about “Taiwanease is in the Taipei Times Today” will be sent to Temp. If anyone wants to bash T.com, bring up past history, has beef with Maoman, T.com, the mods on T.com, the color and fonts on T.com, the forum/directory style on T.com, basically, if anyone has something to say/complain about T.com that is not what the original thread title is, and is degrading, demeaning, insulting, mocking, passive-aggressive, etc. etc. will be sent to Temp.

It’s not my place to defend T.com/Anthony/Maoman. He does that very well on his own. Plus, there is no need to defend anything. Two sites split and went their separate ways, nothing lasts forever. Both sites are thriving. Both sites overlap in some ways. Both sites have different demographics, so they cater to different needs. [/color]

I will send off topic posts to Temp. You can continue your bashing there if yall prefer.

Peace,
914[/color][/i][/quote]

I hate to harp on but unless someone can point out what the different demographic is…it’s the same demographic (except for the parenting angle).

[quote=“the bear”]

I hate to harp on but unless someone can point out what the different demographic is…it’s the same demographic (except for the parenting angle).[/quote]
I think the demographic is that Taiwanease caters to posters who don’t need to be moderated. Hence our (moderators) redundancy and small hong baos there. :bow:

It’s the same demographic as the international community members that post on forumosa, that listen to ICRT, that look at tealit, that read the Taipei Times, etc. :thumbsup:

[quote=“maoman”][quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“the bear”]

I hate to harp on but unless someone can point out what the different demographic is…it’s the same demographic (except for the parenting angle).[/quote]
I think the demographic is that Taiwanease caters to posters who don’t need to be moderated.[/quote]

Seriously though, it’s the same demographic as the international community members that post on forumosa, that listen to ICRT, that look at tealit, that read the Taipei Times[/quote]

wait, people actually read the Taipei Times?

Taiwanease.com isn’t just an online community, we regularly get together in real life, too! If you’d like to know about our events, please feel free to join our Facebook group, Taiwaneasians, where you’ll be notified about all new events as they’re posted.

If you’re interested in starting a business in Taiwan, or if you’ve already started one, you should definitely consider joining Taiwantrepreneurs. We have bi-monthly get-togethers with interesting and diverse topics and speakers.

Tonight, starting at 6:00 pm, we’ve got a Happy Hour at Carnegie’s. There’s no cost to enter, and there are some phenomenal drink specials. :thumbsup:

And Sunday, June 16th is Taiwanease Beach Day! Join us for a great day of fun and sun at Wai’ao Beach. Again, there’s no cost for the event; we just like having fun together! :sunglasses:

Don’t worry if you don’t know anybody - we’re a friendly bunch, and I’d be happy to introduce you around. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My name is Anthony van Dyck, my phone number is 0935-560-995, and my email is anthony (at) taiwanease.com. Hope to see you soon! :slight_smile:

Appreciate the answer Maoman. So when is the Party in Taichung?. Been waiting 3 years :lick:

End of July? August? Let’s do something this summer! :thumbsup: