Taiwanease.com, serving the international community

Moderator’s note: This thread is a compilation of multiple single threads on the same business.

Ok, the forums are up a day early. You’re welcome to come over and check us out (and reserve your preferred username!), but please keep in mind a few things"

• Everything is still a little rough. If you see a problem, please let us know here.
    *Not all forums have moderators yet. Please be good to each other! :slight_smile: :notworthy:
    *If you need to register, you can do so here.
    *You’ll notice that there are some posts, mostly in the Parent Pages that go back a few years. That’s because the forums at Taiwanease have merged with the forums at parentpages.net, so we’ve already got fantastic content for parents and young families in Taiwan.
    *Everything is a work in progress, with equal emphasis on the words “work” and “progress”. It’s kind of fun building something from the ground up, and I look forward to watching things take shape in the days and months to come.

PS After today, I won’t be an admin, or even a moderator at Forumosa, so I won’t be posting so much here. I’ll still be on Forumosa frequently, but not in any official capacity.

I almost changed my username to sandman, but decided against it. :smiley:

Now i can waste my spare time on three Forumosas… :wink: :laughing:
Actually, since these BBSs (forums) are really useful in many ways i think “the more the merrier”…

The forums look a hell of a lot like F.com’s forums…

So what about the existing forums at Parentpages: parentpages.net/tw/index.php

Are those going to keep going independently of Taiwanease? It’s somewhat confusing at first to have the posts in two different places, but I’m sure I can get over it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“scomargo”]So what about the existing forums at Parentpages: parentpages.net/tw/index.php

Are those going to keep going independently of Taiwanease? It’s somewhat confusing at first to have the posts in two different places, but I’m sure I can get over it. :slight_smile:[/quote]
No, they’re going to link to the Parent Pages at Taiwanease.com. Just type taiwanease.com/parentpages. :thumbsup:

So, basically … you are going to pick up where TaiwanHo left off … ?

No, I’m going to pick up where EYE left off. :slight_smile:

dont let nobody take tommy525 or tammy525 please :slight_smile:

[quote=“maoman”][quote=“scomargo”]So what about the existing forums at Parentpages: parentpages.net/tw/index.php

Are those going to keep going independently of Taiwanease? It’s somewhat confusing at first to have the posts in two different places, but I’m sure I can get over it. :slight_smile:[/quote]
No, they’re going to link to the Parent Pages at Taiwanease.com.[/quote]
Okay, that sounds good. I guess it just hasn’t happened yet because it looks like the databases are independent of one another at the moment. Either that, or I’m missing something.
I’m glad that Jennifer at Parentpages was so cooperative with sharing her site’s content. She’s really a great person.

This was in the Taipei Times today:

[quote]Making life a little easier
Taiwanease.com is a new Web site that aims to be a one-stop resource for Taiwan’s foreign community

Managing the ins and outs of life in a foreign country has its challenges, and in Taiwan, expatriates have long turned to online communities and Web sites to ask and answer questions, exchange tips and information, or simply vent their frustrations. (Click the link above to read the rest of the article)[/quote]
The article is pretty good, but there are a few minor errors:
Goose Egg co-founded Oriented.org with Christine Hsu of ORIENTED.COM fame, not me. I joined as a moderator in 1999, and as co-owner in 2003, which is when the name Forumosa came into being. That got a little distorted, somehow. Oh well, these things are to be expected, I guess.

Anyway, the Directory has been out for a while already, and the Taiwanease App is coming soon. Actually, it’s already finished, now we’re just going through the submission process with Apple. I hope it proves useful to all the expats on the island, not just the ones that post in forums.

Oh, and here’s a sneak preview of a our taxi card feature for an events listing:

Photo Courtesy of Taiwanease

Jesus, somebody say something…

…somethin’…

Congrats, Anth!

And very cool to see all the mentions to Forumosa, too. Cheers

Hi folks, so I’m a little confused. can anyone clarify the difference between here and this taiwanease site?

The two sites are separate sites. This one has been in existence (under different names) since the late 1990s. Taiwanease is a new endeavor founded by a guy who was formerly on Forumosa.com.

Since both are Taiwan-oriented sites, there’s some overlap in the user base.

[quote=“ironlady”]The two sites are separate sites. This one has been in existence (under different names) since the late 1990s. Taiwanease is a new endeavor founded by a guy who was formerly on Forumosa.com.

Since both are Taiwan-oriented sites, there’s some overlap in the user base.[/quote]

so both serve the same purpose? or do they have different functions.

Why don’t you just look at both and see? This isn’t the place to discuss the specifics of that site – we don’t know. Nor would that be the best place to find out about this site. Common sense.

You bet.

On forumosa everyone posts in their underpants, whereas on taiwanease they post completely naked. They’ve kind of taken the online fora experience a step further.