Taiwanese-Americans are all growed up

Jeremy Lin is now Taiwanese-American-Taiwanese (and could someday help out the national team):

1 Like

A great leader IMO…

2 Likes

Damn, he just recently retired at such a young age too. Article says due to a house fire perhaps. Sad.

The world would benefit from more business leaders like him. The way he ran that company is now taught as a case study in most business schools.

2 Likes

Agreed. He was an inspiration for me. If anyone is more interested, I suggest reading his book.

Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JTHXN6/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_34UWFbGP9NW0F

5 Likes

Rest in Peace, Tony Hsieh.

Great book. Great leader. Still a lot of details lacking in the circumstances around his death.

My wife works for Delivering Happiness, the company consulting firm Tony co-founded after writing the book. It’s been a very depressing time for all of them, particularly the exec team that were all good friends of Tony’s. He had a lot of plans for his post-Zappos phase.

3 Likes

Forgot another Guy: Albert Chu, Jeopardy Champ who restored the use of game theory.
Arthur Chu - Wikipedia

He may have been ‘Taiwanese Ameriican’ but again I would never have known it. When China attacks these guys will be useless.

There are a lot of great Taiwanese Americans out there…The ones the that were born here and then moved to America and then moved back and invested here and run businesses and teach in the universities and government institutes . You know the old school guys and gals you bump into like Morris Chang.

2 Likes

The topic’s typo is so irritating.

1 Like

I have the power to edit it.

I’m not going to edit it.:grin::grinning::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Never read mich about him, heard he was one of a new breed of 'let the employees wear what they want etc ’ entrepreneur and one of the first big online retail success stories etc…

What was his position on sourcing shoes from developing countries where exploitation is rampant ? Did his benovolence stretch to poor people overseas ?

1 Like

Another “starfucker” citizenship. Shameless.

I could not find any comments in terms of responsibly sourcing shoes, but then again as a retailer he wasn’t the one doing the sourcing. His claim to fame was creating a corporate culture that did away with traditional hierarchy and where employees were able to speak their minds without retribution. They published a culture book every year where employees could write anything they wanted about the company positive or negative.

He also revolutionized e-commerce by making customer service as easy as possible and offering free returns and encouraging people to order three pairs to buy one, and return the other two.

A couple thoughts on sweatshops since you brought it up…the idea of sweatshops and exploitation in the footwear/apparel industry, I think is a relic of the 1990s in many cases. Not to say it doesn’t happen but this isn’t the norm. There are 3rd party social compliance firms that audit factories and require them to offer things like maternity leave, paid time off etc. Most brands require these audits before working with a factory. If you buy from a major retailer like Costco they will be conducting audits themselves on top of that. Once incident could destroy or seriously damage a brand so you can bet they care about it. Because of this you’re more likely to find a sweatshop in LA (where everyone assumes US has higher standards) than you are in Jakarta.

Footwear is also not easily moved and is very well entrenched in countries like China, Vietnam, Indo. It’s fast fashion, disposable clothing you have to worry about where the goal is to make clothes as cheap and as fast as possible (I.e. H&M in Bangladesh). Sustainability is a bigger problem IMO, especially in China, where the joke used to be you knew the fashion color of the season by just looking at the color of the river.

That sounds like a massive cop out.

These retailers and big brands pretend to be ‘nice’ but it’s wafer tin only extending to their immediate circle.

I looked and couldn’t find anything but maybe finish reading what I wrote about the industry first. Your assumptions on sweatshops are outdated.

I will look into it.

I didn’t mention the word sweatshops did I?
I am really interested as to how far down the chain his benevolence actually reached.
Because that’s where it matters most.
Yes I don’t know much about this industry but I know taiwanese companies are big OEM suppliers I know how those guys usually operate.

No you used the word exploitation which is a loaded term especially given the history within the footwear industry. And I am telling you that it is not that common.

1 Like

Did Tony go and visit the factories and look after those people too ?

Do you understand the difference between a retailer and a brand? Why are you so sure everyone is being exploited?