Taiwanese Business Practises - Wack and Otherwise

My hypothesis is that Taiwan is just very laid back and takes a lot of inspiration from Japan. Taiwanese don’t often want that small money, they want the big money because it, rightly or wrongly, is perceived as the same effort for more. It shows with the, for example, citizenship stuff, where they only give it to big wigs. An electronics store wouldn’t sell me the connectors that I wanted unless I bought the bulk pack of 100. They’re a customer-facing business. I even offered more than what they’re worth but wouldn’t budge.

Whereas China, IMO is the opposite, they come across as if they’ll sell their mothers for a buck. You can get anything and everything and they’ll sell it to you. Might not always be the lowest price but I’ll get it if I want it. Ethics and other impedences go out the window. Just cold hard efficiency.

Hong Kong always felt…familiar. My hypothesis is that English countries all kind of base their business attitudes from the UK. Commonwealth countries and the US all kinda…feel the same when it comes to commerce.

5 Likes