Taiwanese Can't Buy a House on Normal Salaries - Foreigners Live in a Bubble

the OP is bitter about something money related and parents…

anyway i call bullshit on those numbers. if you want to get $ its there, its everywhere, however if you would rather invest in an online gaming ssd subscription… then i guess there is that.

that sounds legit…

3 Likes

Good for you for changing your standard line from “most make 30,000” to “most start with less than 30,000” but you are still wrong!

Is it a surprise that a new graduate or anyone who makes close to the minimum wage cannot afford to buy a house in Taiwan or anywhere?

Life is not fair! Some people have parents that can help them, others don’t. My parents pitched in and helped my siblings buy their first homes, but didn’t help me. Should I be bitter? Perhaps, but I bought a house in the US in my 20s without their help… Instead of complaining incessantly about all the wrongs that have been done to you (real or perceived), why don’t you put your energy on improving yourself and your circumstances?

5 Likes

Well I included bonuses. We don’t do overtime either. We are neither required nor allowed to do overtime (I mean technically we are allowed to I guess but the management doesn’t want us to work overtime).

Indeed: (73) Former 1st Son Chen Chih-chung Reports to Prison | TaiwanPlus News - YouTube

That was always their desire, unions (not in Taiwan) have stopped that for a while, but unions get weaker and sometimes overreach their power.

Amazingly you got 3 likes for providing absolutely NO useful information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it’s 4 likes now, but have a like from me for also not providing any useful information :grin:

1 Like

Then you should not do any overtime at all. After all if you are not allowed you don’t do it then. For me running a business there is no such thing I work when required. In the office again today at 5:30am but go for an hours walk at 10am then back home to snooze for a few hours lol

its still possible to own a place, just not Taipei. many of my co workers are in a range close to that (40 to 50K a month ), holding regular office job in the private sector.
they own homes in shulin, xizhi, linkou, shenkeng, huilong…

3 Likes

so Taiwanese engineers aren’t real Taiwanese? ouch.

all my cousins and uncles make more than 30k. none have college degrees. not a rich parent amongst them. a few have houses.

2 Likes

I wonder if TL counts himself as a “real Taiwanese”?

I see tea shops like coco’s hiring for 165 an hour. 175 an hour would get you 30k a year. I highly doubt that people aren’t paying more than that for skill jobs.

The legal minimum is NT$176 an hour.

1 Like

Yeah they can for sure.
Cosntruction workers can earn a few k NTD a day.

But older people get ripped off like those security guards and cleaners. They might get minimum wage but really shit hours and conditions.The same for those tea shops and restaurants. They will do their best to get you on a part time type contract. And never forget how terribly they treat most foreign workers here compared to locals. Are their salaries included ? Then I guess Taiwanese earn more than the stated average.

Getting a house and mortgage is easier for Taiwanese usually because they could use local collateral for the loan and also many are working in govt jobs and semi state companies and they also get lower interest rates then, how many foreigners you meet with a permanent job in a govt org/semi state company in Taiwan???

I’d say these things are mostly mutually exclusive. Most foreigners are renting which is cheaper than buying so living in a nicer bubble.

Foreigners that are buying don’t have the local financial and family support systems that Taiwanese enjoy unless married to a local so the combination can allow them to attain higher goals. But they are still buying in cheaper places like Linkou.

Of course their are the low percentage extreme upper income foreigners that can buy and live anywhere. But don’t let that skew the overall picture.

1 Like

That’s just the old case of his mom accepted political donations, and he was asked to transfer money to his mom’s oversea accounts, which at the time the law treated political donations as donation to the person.

The issue with those cases were always that his mom had no power of influence, and CSB didn’t know and didn’t do anything to change the outcomes. The reason the court gave for locking CSB up back then was he had the ability to influence (實質影響力), not that he actually did anything with it, which remains highly controversial today.

Those were also the cases where Ma’s investigators threatened Chinatrust Banks’ Jeffrey Koo Jr. (辜仲諒) to make false accusations in exchange for not locking him up, and Jeffrey Koo Jr. went into hiding in Japan for 2 years before coming back to Taiwan to reveal he was forced to do so.

Is this a way to download more deditated wam?

Assuming this chart is correct.
Median income is 470 000 TWD annually.
Most people are below median.
So, average income somehow a little more than that.
Due to top 10% earners are basically unlimited.

Mode is around 360000 TWD (or 30 K a month).

2 Likes

Your data is a couple years old. Here is the chart from 2021 (the most recent available year). The red line is the average annual income for that year:

8 Likes

Why are posting stats? The stats are bs because some members don’t know any Taiwanese that make this much :joy:

1 Like