Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Welcome. Do you prefer boxing gloves, UFC or MMA format?

You havenā€™t been here (the Flob) very long, have you? :laughing:

[quote]Germany by the way require foreingers to renounce to obtain ctizenship, what it does allow is children or dual naitonality parents to have both, until they turn 18 when they are required to decide which nationality to keep[/quote].

Germany is a country in which millions of foreigners can live (holding a foreign passport) - forever - without having to renounce their passport and without the need to obtain German citizenship. This fits the needs of great parts of the huge number of foreigners living in Germany, who want to live there, but do not want to renounce their citizenship. This is an option though.
the ā€œkids turn 18 - have to decideā€ is outdated.

[quote=ā€œtoudukeā€][quote]Germany by the way require foreingers to renounce to obtain ctizenship, what it does allow is children or dual naitonality parents to have both, until they turn 18 when they are required to decide which nationality to keep[/quote].

Germany is a country in which millions of foreigners can live (holding a foreign passport) - forever - without having to renounce their passport and without the need to obtain German citizenship. This fits the needs of great parts of the huge number of foreigners living in Germany, who want to live there, but do not want to renounce their citizenship. This is an option though.
the ā€œkids turn 18 - have to decideā€ is outdated.[/quote]

Yeah Taiwan has it to, its called an APRC. This thread is about citizenship not migration.

The only way to become a naturalized German and holding your previous nationality is to be an EU citizen in the first place.

I can imagine even North Korea might officially have something like this, dude.
You have to look at how things are handled.
In Germany lots and lots of blue collar workers stay as long as they like (thatā€™s what I mentioned in my last post), They build their lives in Germany, they bring their family, they live their lives in Germany.
In Taiwan itā€™s a totally different story.
Taiwan tries everything to keep them out. These foreign nationals, even if they stay in Taiwan for many years, have no chance to apply for this APRC, because the Taiwanese kick them out of Taiwan for a couple of days in order to make it impossible for them to accumulate enough years to get the right to apply for this APRC.

But as you wrote, this thread is about citizenship not migration, just want to point out the flaws in your cool post.

In Germany lots and lots of blue collar workers stay as long as they like (thatā€™s what I mentioned in my last post), They build their lives in Germany, they bring their family, they live their lives in Germany.
Taiwan tries everything to keep them out. These foreign nationals, even if they stay in Taiwan for many years, have no chance to apply for this APRC, because the Taiwanese kick them out of Taiwan for a couple of days in order to make it impossible for them to accumulate enough years to get the right to apply for this APRC.

But as you wrote, this thread is about citizenship not migration, just want to point out the flaws in your cool post.[/quote]
Youā€™re talking about factory workers and the like, right? Because Iā€™m sure there are tens of thousands of folks like you who make their lives here, with their families, and no one is trying to kick you out. Or am I wrong on that count? Is the FAP continuously at your doorstep trying to get you on a plane? Is it difficult for you to live and work here?

But as you wrote, this thread is about citizenship not migration, just want to point out the flaws in your cool post.[/quote]

Yeah but those blue collar workers you talk about in Germany are mainly from Eastern European EU nations. How many blue collar non-EU citizens are there? Iā€™d say fairly little.

Most migration schemes in any country are based on skill, and Taiwan is one of the few countries in the world that opens migration to blue collar workers. Good luck trying to work on a H1B in the USA without a bachelorā€™s degree or immigrate to Australia without any skills.

And the blue collar workers in Taiwan come from SE-Asia. What is your point besides showing us that you do not know what you are talking about?

cyborg_ninja since you keep on harping about migration in this thread about citizenship, I have to tell you that what you write is absolutely wrong.
The people I am talking about donā€™t come from Eastern Europe. I think about the by far biggest group of blue collar workers in Germany. They are from Asia, namely Turkey. And Turkey is not in the EU. Millions of Turks came to Germany decades ago and live in Germany now. They were hired as laborer just as Taiwan hires blue collar workers from abroad, but in Germany they have a chance to see if they want to stay. In Taiwan these blue collar workers are often not even free to move or to choose where to live and they certainly have no chance to stay. Basically they can do nothing in Taiwan but work, certainly not build up their lives in Taiwan. They are not allowed to bring their family, let alone give birth, change their work, decide where to live and in the case of maids, they often do not even get a room for themselves.

that is ā€¦ againā€¦wrong. Taiwan is not special when it comes to migration of blue collars and the only thing open is the door to the airplane leaving the island after their time is up.

I donā€™t know about Germans, but there seem to be some people in the world who think that way:

[quote=ā€œAmong the options in a survey, the Research, Development and Evaluation Commission of the Executive Yuanā€™s Division of International Affairsā€]Current Status:
Foreigner with ROC nationality[/quote]
michaelturton.blogspot.com/2009/ ā€¦ -fail.html

:roflmao: Great find!

[quote=ā€œAmong the options in a survey, the Research, Development and Evaluation Commission of the Executive Yuanā€™s Division of International Affairsā€]Current Status:
Foreigner with ROC nationality[/quote]

Brilliant! :bravo:

Thanks, guys, but I didnā€™t even notice it when I took the survey in 2009. I think it was Feiren who first mentioned it on the board: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ā€¦ 3#p1071363](A favour to ask from my fellow Forumosans

Forty pages and it seems a good time to wrap part 1 up. Part 2 here: Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation II

Hi,
I canā€™t tell if this has been asked before, but does anybody know how to, or what document to show to assert I canā€™t obtain a certificate of loss of my original citizenship?
The constitution/law of my government, Nicaragua, stays that I canā€™t lose my citizenship, does this fact counts as a proof that i canā€™t present the requested certificate for causes not attribute to me?

Thanks, Iā€™m at this loop right now, so Iā€™ll really appreciate if someone can help me

Thanks again

1 Like

In theory, it should. You need to provide some kind of proof that you presented the petition to the proper authoritiesā€¦and they said no.

Do take advantage of the fact that you have an embassy in Tianmu to stamp your paperwork quickly.

Do try to gather evidence also of fellow Nicaraguans who have acquired ROC Taiwan citizenship.

Buena suerte y que todo salga bien.

3 Likes

Hi there!

Thanks, I appreciate your time to reply to me.

Iā€™m in an uphill battle right now. My government authorities had denied me any document saying that my petition has been rejected based on our constitution. I think Iā€™ll show my legal petition and my country constitution to the Minister of Interior here in Taiwan and hope for the best.

But, worse case scenario, do you happen to know what could happen if the Minister of Interior rules to cancel my citizenship application? Iā€™m on TARC at the moment. Do I have to leave Taiwan?

Gracias por tus buenos deseos!!!

Do you have their written response? They do not need to say yes, you just need proof that you tried, that you presented the request.

Nope. I donā€™t have their written response, they donā€™t even want to take my documents, so that I can show a receipt showing that I did apply for renunciation. Their response so far has been that is due to our constitution, seems that my government doesnā€™t even have a process regarding this matters and I have been the only person to ask for itā€¦

However, they mentioned that the Embassy of Taiwan in Nicaragua has requested for this info as wellā€¦ As in how a nicaraguan can renaunce our citizenship in order to obtain Taiwan citizenship, and they had answered that we just cannot.
Taiwan Embassy also shared with me that they had inform TaiwƔn MOFA about it, and MOFA had informed the Ministry of Interior too since it was MOI who requested this info.
Buuuuuutā€¦ I still donā€™t have an official document showing all of the above.
I still will proceed to create a notary document of my petition, get the constitution and translated in CH and cross my fingers basically.
So, thatā€™s what brings me to my question, what happens if MOI says noā€¦ Kinda need to be prepared I guessā€¦

Did you hand in your documents in person or did you mail them?
If you didnā€™t do allready, Iā€™d sent a letter, stating that you want to renounce your citizenship and and ask, what the necessary steps are. You will likely get an letter back with an official letterhead from your embassy, stating, that it is impossible due to your countryā€™s constitution. Bring this to the Taiwanese office in person and ask them if this is good enough for them to work with.

Good luck with your endeavour!

4 Likes

Could you ask to your countryā€™s authority, such as embassy, to issue a document explaining renunciation isnā€™t allowed by your constitution?

I now read the previous post, and found the same thing already proposedā€¦