Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

You need a copy of the answer to the Embassy. You need something written, even if it is a certified Constitution.

What @FenjaJie said.

Hi there!

As an update, I haven’t been able to get any official document from any authority of my country. My worst nightmare is becoming a reality.
I visited my Embassy in Taipei and they had explained me that they cannot accept my letter requesting the renunciation of my citizenship nor they can provide me with a document stating that I cannot renounce.
My only hope at the moment is the fact that MOFA has been notified that we Nicaraguans cannot renaunce our citizenship and yet they had approved my application.
I really need your help with any information that you may know. What happens if MOFA rules to cancel my application since currently I am on TARC

Well, what comes to mind, you can show them the list of Nicaraguans, Hondurans, and Japanese they have accepted before under the same “can’t renounce” conditions. And they are citizens now.

Your embassy cannot accept the letter but can give you a written statement of why they can’t quoting the Constitution. That will help.

Meanwhile, persevere. Los molinos de Dios muelen lento pero muelen fino.

3 Likes

Hi @Tk3, greetings! Do you have any updates on your case?

Hi @DakenX, greetings!

Well, I followed what @Icon had thankfully shared with us. I presented my case of not being able to renaunce with all the documents that I had at the moment, and attached the translations into Chinese by a tranlation agency. I just showed everything to my HRO officer.

The HRO officer, she was very knowable about these type of cases, and gave me some guidance, but at the same time, she was constantly making sure that I understood that there was nothing guaranteed.

Thankfully, MOI concluded that I can proceed and right now I am waiting to complete one year on TARC to proceed to get my Taiwan ID. Up to know, I don’t know if I were just a lucky person, I can’t really tell what is the criteria of MOI to accept or deny on this cases.

8 Likes

Congratulations. Felicidades! Enhorabuena!

The year goes fast and soon you’ll have your ID. Freedom!

As to what the government officials think, it depends on the phases of the moon, their mood that day, whether they got a good parking spot…

5 Likes

Great news! Glad to know everything worked out for you.

I will start the TW citizenship application this November, and I’m kinda in your position being also from Central America. I have been in touch with my embassy (Honduras) lately and they told me that given that I’m Honduran by birth, I will always be Honduran, so there’s no way they will remit any official documents to renounce my citizenship, cause the constitution prohibits it. What they will provide in this case is to provide a No Objection Letter (Carta de no objeción). They have done this to other Hondurans and it has always been accepted by the Taiwanese authorities.

4 Likes

Just curious about your age. I am also thinking of doing it now (due to travel restrictions looks like I will be stuck here for another year) but I am not clear about the military service part.

I’m turning 35 next month. Actually military service needs to be done until December 31st of your 36th year.

I’m turning 35 this year too… so you are planning to get started in November to get TARC sometime in January 2022 so after the 1-year lockdown you will be over your 36th year?

Obligation for military service starts one year after the establishment of your HHR, which is at least two years after you get your TARC. Iirc.

2 Likes

yup, I’m trying to skip the military service by all means possible as it’s such a waste of time, ask any Taiwanese and they’ll probably tell you the same thing.

I would do my conscription if I could just get the bloody passport without giving up.

2 Likes

That means I can get started now!

That’s good to know! Thanks for sharing this info.

@tando I contacted recently HHR regarding when can I start the naturalization process and they inform that I have to wait till November cause by then I will complete my 3 years of marriage (180 days per day). But the thing is, before I married I was on ARC work visa (around 4 years) and I have also stayed 180 days per year, does these years count towards naturalization?

https://house.chcg.gov.tw/hsiushui/99more/main.asp?main_id=1059

According to the above page, and iiuc, it seems you should be a spouse of a national for 3 years, to do naturalization as a spouse of a national. In that case, you are exempted from financial requirements.

該3年之期間亦應具有我國人配偶之身分。

You can also do naturalization by the condition of 5 years. In that case, you should meet the financial requirements.

I’m assuming there is no gap between your ARCs.

申請人(再)婚未滿3年,惟自申請歸化時往前推算5年之居留期間連續且不中斷,其得依國籍法第3條規定申請歸化事宜。

1 Like

Thanks Tando, i have read in other posts that i can provide self-written description of work and income as proof of financial support. Can i provide this in english or does it has to be in chinese? Thanks in advance

If you go to 5 year route, it isn’t applied.

You may check Article 7 of Enforcement Rules of the Nationality Act. And Artists 3 and 4 of Nationality Act.

You can include income or assets of your spouse and parents in law if they are citizens, iiuc.

You or your spouse may confirm at HHR office.

1 Like

Got it thanks, i assume i should also get a police criminal record 良民證 before i head over the HHR right?