Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

That’s where your case is going to get interesting… Because before it used to be that you had to renounce before becoming a NWHR and I wonder if they will just revert to the old situation

Yes, especially since in some countries (cough China cough), children born overseas cannot claim citizenship if their parents are permanent residents of that foreign country.

Theoretically someone with PR in Taiwan who is a citizen of a country with similar laws to China would give birth to a stateless child here, as the child cannot claim either country’s citizenship.

1 Like

Yeah some EU countries also do not give citizenship to children born there of non citizen parents. Taiwan should be like other countries where citizenship is granted as long as one parent has PR the children are citizens. Mu son born in Taiwan to a Taiwan citizen mother was not given citizenship here. Like so many countries citizenship was granted only if the father was a citizen.

1 Like

In that case they get Taiwan citizenship as Taiwan will not leave them stateless. But that’s beside the point

Well, having stateless folks on ur grounds is never a nice thing, they already changed that to prevent this occurence

I was stateless for some time had no Australian citizenship and yet had not become a Taiwan national.

2 Likes

Sure, but you foreigners aren’t citizens.

His angle is once you become a NWHR

2 Likes

For PRC, isn’t it if their parents are permanent residents of that foreign country AND the baby gets the foreign nationality by birth?

Oh you’re right. Although in practice, it’s kind of hard to prove the lack of a foreign nationality, no? How do you prove the lack of something? Show up empty-handed?

I think, in practice, they will just assume your kid received foreign citizenship if they were born there, even if they didn’t.

At least, the lack of an ROC nationality is obvious for such baby, born here with foreign parents on APRC.

How so? If I had a baby in Taiwan, how would I prove to another country that my baby doesn’t have Taiwanese citizenship?

Nationality Act says such baby doesn’t get ROC nationality.

Ah I see what you mean. So the parents would have to prove that they don’t have Taiwanese citizenship either, which would still be hard.

ROC nationals cannot get APRC.

u know what, I just bloody going to submit the complaint now and whatever.

Here too many folks complain and do jackshit, I have my plan already tbh, but if that fails it would be nice to have a plan B (shit happens, always think about the worst).

If successful folks can thank me later.

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Exactly!!!

Yeh good luck to those using those APRCs as a primary source of ID or entry/exit document…

They might have naturalized as Taiwanese, and still kept their old APRC card (maybe falsely reported as “lost” or something so they never turned it in).

Anyway, that’s a bit of a stretch I know, but all I’m saying is some countries have dumb laws like the ones where you have to prove the lack of something.

further to this, Taiwan ratified the ICERD ( International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination) while still at the UN, and article 5 let. f talks about the right to nationality, to fight statelessness (even if there is a specific convention to fight statelessness).

3 Likes

The country might request to provide not just an APRC card, but a certificate issued by authority within a certain period and certified by some other authority.

1 Like