Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Is something shaking?

@Mataiou had mentioned changes are coming . . . Is this part of the change, to save NT$1200 to get nationality documents? I’m all for saving a few bucks, but if this is the extent of the proposed reforms . . . :sorrow:

Guy

3 Likes

I have no huge opinion on the period of residence reduction, but giving a paltry NT$1200 discount to certain subsets of applicants is sooo Taiwanese. :laughing:

The draft bill also stipulates foreign nationals who have made substantial contributions in the fields of medicine, social welfare, or education in Taiwan, or have significantly contributed to remote areas of the country, will be exempt from paying the NT$1,200 (US$37.33) fee for their Republic of China (Taiwan) nationality documents.

5 Likes

Hey, that’s 10 lunch boxes round these parts.

1 Like

Wait. Wasn’t it five years to apply for naturalization?

Sounds like it’ll probably take 40 man hours to get the notarized documentation to save that 1200 NT

2 Likes

Wow, only 2 years of residency for citizenship now. But, 5 years for APRC. That is a weird disparity. Too bad you can’t get dual citizenship!!! Calling @fifieldt !! One can dream …

3 Likes

That ain’t it

1 Like

The other weird one is that spouses can naturalize after 3 years but still have to wait 5 if they want an APRC instead

5 Likes

That’s crazy!

The alternative would be the whole world slowly becoming Canadian.

4 Likes

How would that happen? My brother is a US citizen born overseas and his kids born overseas are allowed to be US citizens, yet the whole world isn’t slowly turning American.

So basically reduced the residency requirement only applies to “senior professionals”?

It used to be seven. It’s five for the mere mortals, three for those married to ROC citizens.
Now maybe two for the best of the best of the best and without renunciation for those deemed godly status. .

NT$1200 for citizenship is a bargain. I could not have afforded the NT$10k for APRC. So expensive.

2 Likes

The article says “Taiwan’s Cabinet on Thursday approved draft amendments to the Nationality Act to ease residency requirements for foreign professionals applying for naturalization. Currently, foreign professionals need to have legally and continuously resided in Taiwan for three years – present in the country for at least 183 days a year – before being eligible to apply for naturalization.”

It doesn’t say “senior professionals” but I’ll have to agree with Sat TV on this…

I’m pretty sure they ain’t gonna cut slack for everyone…can you imagine them making it easy for all those backpacking, beer guzzling, taking all our Taiwan women, throwing banana peels on the side of the road foreigners to get Citizenship? Hell NO! They’re only gonna give it to worthy individuals
man-ona-coattalking-movie

2 Likes

Accompanied naturalization of a spouse of a foreign senior professional in a proposal by a lawmaker group is not in the draft by cabinet.

1 Like

Is the 2 year residency rule for high level prodessional for those who are married to an ROC citizen? And I’m assuming this is not in effect yet?

1 Like

I am really confused by this. It says previously foreign professionals had to spend 3 years in Taiwan before naturalization, and now it will be 2.

Since when was it ever 3 years ? I have never even heard of this.

As far as I know only APRC went from 5 years to 3 years for professionals, not naturalization. Naturalizations has always required 5 years of residence unless you are married to a Taiwanese and then it’s only 3 years.

Maybe Focus Taiwan is mixing APRC and Naturalization ?

5 Likes

I don’t think so. Their article is based on the announcement from MOI. MOI maybe mixed them.

Executive Yuan passes amendments to Nationality Law

2 Likes

And what about their kids? And the kids after that? Every country has a cut off point.