Taiwanese die in Spain, Chinese spur BS

[url]http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=243252[url]

Quick translation:

3 Taiwanese (father and 2 kids) die of food poisoning in Madrid, mother is in hospital, 3 other kids are probably going to return to their COUNTRY to be taken care by extended family.
TECO in Madrid taking care of the issue…
Chinese embassy says they have not been contacted, but are willing to give Chinese passport to the people if they want so, “as to any other citizen”. The speaker of the embassy of China then added that the family was in Madrid with a “false passport, from Taiwan”, and that “Taiwan is unilaterally separated from China”, that “was expelled from ONU” and “condemned”…

I wonder what the TECO has to say on the intel that the passports are fake…

This case is very sad and complicated. Worse, Spanish family law is intricate and will complicate things even more.

The mistake, IMHO, is the “journalist” asking the Chinese embassy for their point of view. If said as stated -which I doubt- that vile expletive of “illegal passport” only reflects a hardened and brainwashed militant of the CCP’s worse dinasours, and I am sure no higher embassy employee would even touch that with a ten-foot pole.

China does have offered to “assist” Taiwanese citizens abroad, as has been in the Somalia kidnap cases. Framing this problem within the context of humanitarian help across the Strait would have been more diplomatic and helpful. The “journalist” has obviously stressed -or rather streched- the “Taiwan is part of China” bit to the max.

Hopefully, as citizens of the Republic of China, the children will be joined with a supportive network of relatives here, and not sent to a series of foster homes separately in Spain or worse, heaven knows with whom in China “porque son chinos”.

Hopefully, Spanish people with brain will understand that what the Chinese ambassador is saying is pure BS…

But we are talking about burocrats with way too much power and well known history of cultural indifference… :frowning:

Does anyone know what ended up happening with this?

I suspect the Chinese Embassy’s involvement ended with the issuing of that statement…

No new developments so far. Which is good, if you ask me, I’d rather not see any other bs on the press, but rather a satisfactory resolution.

This link 20minutos.es/noticia/607126/5/ takes you to a more detailed report -with video if you have the guts- and basically says that only a room was in a mess, that the father had lost his job, that the mother was depressed

In some media it said that the family was convinced by a witch doctor -they say from Taiwan but somewhere else says Thailand- that the father and sons were not dead but had a virus… This article refutes that saying that only Chinese medicine was found, but that Chinese medicine is reputable. A completely different attitude in the report, very respectful and to the facts.

At the end it says that the municipality wher ethey lived declared 3 days mourning because of this sad incident.

I don’t understand. Beijing makes that kind of statement every time something like this happens. SOP. What’s the difference in this case?

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]
In some media it said that the family was convinced by a witch doctor -they say from Taiwan but somewhere else says Thailand- that the father and sons were not dead but had a virus… This article refutes that saying that only Chinese medicine was found, but that Chinese medicine is reputable. A completely different attitude in the report, very respectful and to the facts.[/quote][/quote]

Chinese medicine is reputable? :laughing:

Like “Scientology-reputable” or “Vaccine-reputable”?

Well, Chinese doctors go to college and learn the same basic stuff as normal ones. They can give you “Western” medicine in a sense. They need a degree and a test to practice.

What they say in the article is that just because it is not a conventional Western doctor, it shouldn’t be taken as a guarantee that he’s a witch doctor/charlatan. They respect and make room for other traditions in medicine. They are actually telling people not to judge a priori, since it has not been proven such is the case in this situation.

For example, in Spain and Latin America, we have homeopathy registered practitioners, which initially met with disdain and disbelief, but it keeps growing, regulated of course.

This case is very strange. Very very strange indeed.

(just to state the obvious)