Taiwanese domestic motorcycle licence and IDP/IDL

My question relates to the ability to use a Taiwanese domestic motorcycle licence abroad. So far I have the 250 licence with plans to upgrade to bigger bikes but I have no desire to take my car test here; I have a UK driving licence so no need.

Is it possible to obtain a Taiwanese IDP/IDL for a motorcycle licence only? I realize the answer might only be known if I drag my ass back to the DMV but I wondered if any of you good people have actually done this? Even if it was a Taiwanese car and motorcycle licence, I’d therefore assume a motorcycle licence on its own would be okay.

The reason for such a query is that while there tends to be some confusion over which countries accept the Taiwanese IDL, I stumbled upon what looks like official confirmation on an official looking Taiwanese government website:

thb.gov.tw/TM/new_english/Default.aspx

Look down the left menu and click on ‘International Driver’s Licence Replacement’. Even though a lot of countries don’t recognize it, if a motorcycle IDL could be obtained, it opens up the possibility of touring Europe, most of North and South America as well as a decent chunk of Asia.

For me it’s definite food for thought :ponder:

No government or DMV worth of that name will recognize a Taiwan license, specially if it’s from a taiwanese citizen. It’s like giving a license to carry firearms to a schizophrenic sociopath.

The ones that recognize such licenses clearly haven’t been in Taiwan and seen how the locals drive.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]No government or DMV worth of that name will recognize a Taiwan license, specially if it’s from a taiwanese citizen. It’s like giving a license to carry firearms to a schizophrenic sociopath.

The ones that recognize such licenses clearly haven’t been in Taiwan and seen how the locals drive.[/quote]

I can give you an example that say otherwise: UK. And even Spain allow Taiwanese to use their license for about 3 months or so. And I plan to use my Taiwanese IL during Christmas in Spain :smiley:

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]No government or DMV worth of that name will recognize a Taiwan license, specially if it’s from a taiwanese citizen. It’s like giving a license to carry firearms to a schizophrenic sociopath.

The ones that recognize such licenses clearly haven’t been in Taiwan and seen how the locals drive.[/quote]

Belgium does and therefore I had minimal issues swapping mine for a Taiwanese car and heavy bike license … translate, notarize, TECO stamp, swap …it’s called reciprocity … I don’t care what Taiwanese do on European roads … I’m here!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Personal opinion aside, the fact that Taiwan is signed up to the IDP/IDL scheme, and has agreements with other nations suggests a Taiwanese licence is accepted from a wide range of countries.

If the documents are anything to go by I would dare to even suggest that some Europeans who have only a Taiwanese licence could swap it for a European one. For example, the document states that a Taiwanese one can be swapped for an Irish one.

[quote=“Bubbagump”]
If the documents are anything to go by I would dare to even suggest that some Europeans who have only a Taiwanese licence could swap it for a European one. For example, the document states that a Taiwanese one can be swapped for an Irish one.[/quote]

Well, that might be true in some cases, but not in the ones I know. It could be really good for me though…

Edit: well, I know a case of a non European country who allows this conversion: Japan.

And if you ever happen to spend time working in Japan or Hong Kong, exchange the licence there as they have a straight swap agreement with the UK.

The document mentions that a limited number of European countries also do a straight swap but who knows. It would be great if it were the case.

Nonsense. Go and get an IDL, and see the number of countries that recognize a TW drivers licence. Or do a search on google.

[quote=“Bubbagump”]And if you ever happen to spend time working in Japan or Hong Kong, exchange the licence there as they have a straight swap agreement with the UK.

The document mentions that a limited number of European countries also do a straight swap but who knows. It would be great if it were the case.[/quote]

I would be, indeed. In my country of origin it’s a pain in the ass and a lot of money to get a motorcycle license nowadays.

Same here. I completed my basic training in the UK then worked as a motorcycle courier in London but I never took the test. The expense always put me off. I’m all for safety and if I were back in the UK I’d gladly take lessons or attend the free police training sessions. I just gawp at the overall cost :noway:

Exactly. The only problem with my Taiwanese license is that I think that I didn’t learn anything preparing the test. I know that in my country you do learn some basics about mechanic, vehicle response to certain situations, etc… here they only tell you the most obvious rules, but nobody gives a damn…

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]No government or DMV worth of that name will recognize a Taiwan license, specially if it’s from a taiwanese citizen. It’s like giving a license to carry firearms to a schizophrenic sociopath.

I can give you an example that say otherwise: UK. And even Spain allow Taiwanese to use their license for about 3 months or so. And I plan to use my Taiwanese IL during Christmas in Spain :smiley:[/quote]

Are you implying that Spain has a serious government? No way.

I know many governments allow taiwanese citizens to drive with a taiwanese license. That shows how much they really care for their citizens (hint: they don’t give a f*ck)

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]No government or DMV worth of that name will recognize a Taiwan license, specially if it’s from a taiwanese citizen. It’s like giving a license to carry firearms to a schizophrenic sociopath.

I can give you an example that say otherwise: UK. And even Spain allow Taiwanese to use their license for about 3 months or so. And I plan to use my Taiwanese IL during Christmas in Spain :smiley:[/quote]

Are you implying that Spain has a serious government? No way.

I know many governments allow taiwanese citizens to drive with a taiwanese license. That shows how much they really care for their citizens (hint: they don’t give a f*ck)[/quote]

No, I said UK, not Spain. In UK they have some reciprocity treatment, whilst in Spain not. But even in Spain they got some acknowledgment, if the latest info I’ve checked is correct.

thb.gov.tw/TM/new_english/Default.aspx

Go there, download the IDL PDF and read it, it’s about interchangeabilty of licenses, Taiwan is pretty strict about reciprocity.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

I provided that link in my OP, that was what got me thinking about using a Taiwanese motorcycle licence abroad.

Nice phone btw, I bought one too. Beats anything out there for specification/cost ratio. :slight_smile:

Reviving old thread. What is the situation today, am I allowed to drive a red plate on a IDP ?

My IDP’s got the box that says I can drive anything up to 550kg.

So, is this allowed or not?

In case it matters, I have a local car and light motorcycle licence as well, but I am not eligible to apply for heavy motorcycle until early next year. :rage: