Taiwanese Films and Movies

Strong motivator for travelling to Taiwan.

Bra Girl.

Taiwan 10 episode show. Can’t really figure out any more info.

First episode on TV channel 628 NextTV HD 9pm.

1 Like

Rebels of the Neon God

About a few wayward youth in Taipei in 1990s. Nothing special about the movie but can see some of the city and lifestyle for the time.

• Taipei when everything was old, city was going through renovations, and streets were dirty. Taipei has changed a lot.
1 Like

Er…

Is it your personal mission to watch all the classic films from the Taiwan New Wave and after—and then to simply say that there is “nothing special” about them? :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

I’m just kind of surprised I’m (edit to add>) not finding a lot of good Taiwan movies that are supposed to be good.

Maybe a lot of them are good in the moment

A lot of Tsai Ming-liang’s work messes with audience expectation—about plot, about pace. Remember he is messing with you!

Love his later stuff though. The tenderness of Good Bye Dragon Inn and I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (the only time he has filmed in his native Malaysia) are wonderful. And what’s the film about those luxury flat advertising signs and the poor people standing there holding them in the rain? Stray Dogs. A savage indictment of some of the most terrible aspects of Taiwan society. It’s great stuff! Tsai is a truth teller for our times.

Guy

2 Likes

Is that first sentence missing a negative somewhere?

There does come a point when, after disliking a bunch of films in a category, it’s totally fine to decide that category isn’t for you.

1 Like

This one I am watching and it is pretty entertaining. The characters are a bit predictable but interestingly the plot so far has been solid. And it keeps you wondering what will happen next.

Chris is a cutie but he is getting boxed into weird characters.

I saw it and thought it was really good. The beginning was a bit shaky but it eased into it as it went on, and it was actually really funny (when it wanted to be).

It made the Oscars shortlist a few weeks ago, hope it gets nominated.

1 Like

The English title is more meaningful than the Chinese, as “sun” and “son” are homophones, and we know how the father felt about his two sons. When the film took best picture award at the Golden Horse last year, the director walked up to Ang Lee and gave him a hug. It was quite moving.

1 Like

Taipei Suicide Story

Grand Jury Prize, Audience Award for narrative features and the best actor award. Have not watched it yet.

story-1234701167/

1 Like

Summary of some of Director Hou Hsiao-Hsien films and some Taiwan cinema history.

The Boys from Fengkuei
Daughter of the Nile
Flowers of Shanghai
Millennium Mambo
The Assassin

“Creativity, artistic quality, and cultural self-awareness,” were the cornerstones of the 1987 New Cinema manifesto, signed by around 60 Taiwan filmmakers including Hou. And though his manifestation of those values through tranquil films about adolescence, political tension and the transformation of society would be maligned as self-indulgent by native critics by the late 80s, his reputation abroad has rarely faltered.

2 Likes
1 Like

These old B&W movies are all playing now at Spot Huashan, missed them but maybe catch them later.

天字第一號
The Best Secret Agent

三鳳震武林
Vengeance of the Phoenix Sisters

颱風
Typhoon

http://www.spot-hs.org.tw/movie/nowplaying.html

1 Like

But do check the subtitle situation; Tai Feng for example seems to have only Chinese available.
http://www.spot-hs.org.tw/movie/movie202110/movie202110111.html

Goddamned Asura

1 Like

I keep reading it as Gan si de a xiu luo

Now that you mention it, that’s what I was hearing in my mind when reading it.