Taiwanese Films and Movies

Strong motivator for travelling to Taiwan.

Bra Girl.

Taiwan 10 episode show. Can’t really figure out any more info.

First episode on TV channel 628 NextTV HD 9pm.

1 Like

Rebels of the Neon God

About a few wayward youth in Taipei in 1990s. Nothing special about the movie but can see some of the city and lifestyle for the time.

• Taipei when everything was old, city was going through renovations, and streets were dirty. Taipei has changed a lot.
1 Like

Er…

Is it your personal mission to watch all the classic films from the Taiwan New Wave and after—and then to simply say that there is “nothing special” about them? :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

I’m just kind of surprised I’m (edit to add>) not finding a lot of good Taiwan movies that are supposed to be good.

Maybe a lot of them are good in the moment

A lot of Tsai Ming-liang’s work messes with audience expectation—about plot, about pace. Remember he is messing with you!

Love his later stuff though. The tenderness of Good Bye Dragon Inn and I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (the only time he has filmed in his native Malaysia) are wonderful. And what’s the film about those luxury flat advertising signs and the poor people standing there holding them in the rain? Stray Dogs. A savage indictment of some of the most terrible aspects of Taiwan society. It’s great stuff! Tsai is a truth teller for our times.

Guy

2 Likes

Is that first sentence missing a negative somewhere?

There does come a point when, after disliking a bunch of films in a category, it’s totally fine to decide that category isn’t for you.

1 Like

This one I am watching and it is pretty entertaining. The characters are a bit predictable but interestingly the plot so far has been solid. And it keeps you wondering what will happen next.

Chris is a cutie but he is getting boxed into weird characters.