Taiwanese food is great!

Please don’t hate me, but not a fan of the usual peppery seasoning that’s used. And the small pieces have too much batter and too little actual chicken. Far prefer Korean fried chicken.

4 Likes

I like gua bao, beef noodle soup, and soup dumplings. But I can’t say it’s my favorite cuisine. It’s not even my favorite in East Asia; prefer Japanese and Korean cuisine, and Cantonese, and Sichuan… etc.

Sorry, Taiwan. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had good fried chicken here once, next time I went to the place they were closed :smirk:

1 Like

I will say I prefer Taiwanese food to some meals I had in the Czech Republic where it seems everything is loaded in doughy carbs and smothered in thick brown sauces. Probably carried over from the Soviet days of storing fat to avoid famine. But it’s on the bottom tier of my international cuisine list. Don’t know if the rest of Central and Eastern Europe is like that.

So there you go. Taiwanese food… better than Czech food.

3 Likes

You Taiwanese culture hater.

1 Like

I’m not sure about Taiwanese food per se, but I will say that “food in Taiwan” is great.

What’s your favorite dish? I’ll have to give it a try.

Sashimi, tempura, sweet potato leaves, fresh fish from Shihdong market, emperor pork chop, Ding Tai Fung, good hot pot, bao zi, Jian Bao, Vietnamese banh, good Indian food, ramen, amazing upscale restaurants…

So many…

1 Like

I think I would enjoy all of those foods in Taiwan you listed, if only they added just a bit more salt/flavor, because I really enjoy all of those things when I eat them in other countries.

Where do you get your banh mi? I’ve never had a good one here (ironic since there’s so many Vietnamese workers). They can’t get the baguettes right, and usually substitute standard ingredients, like pâté, for safer Taiwanese flavors.

I miss Taiwanese food. Restaurants that stay open for late night are awesome. You don’t have such things in Europe.

But do you guys actually like eating food in China? I was constantly worried about the food quality and hygiene. And you can’t even get real alcohol at the restaurant like a normal beer with so many fakes. I had some great food but the constant monitoring of is this food safe is annoying.

3 Likes

I’m not a hater. I am one of the few in the hater thread defending taiwanese food. I think there is plenty of good food here! Forget the haters, I am a lover. And, I also asked you, what are some of your suggestions? I was only joking about penis because for some strange reason you brought up gayness and sexuality in a food thread :sweat_smile:

All in good fun. What foods here do you actually like? We are well aware what some some don’t like already.

I will say, the bread the Vietnamese people here choose to use is pretty crap. But that’s frankly due to cost of good bread, which can be bought here. It won’t be used for basically night market price brackets though. All the ingredients are available here in quite high quality and freshness, just need to pay for it. Most aren’t willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a “vietnamese” French sandwich. Sadly. But I would say even the shit ones in a nothing town at closing time at the night market Trump the hell out of any sandwich at 711. By far. Not that 711 is a good standard. Fresh herbs and veg are great!. Just wish the bread was a slight bit better, less spam and less msg laced sugar sauces. But that basically makes them not a ban mhi haha.

2 Likes

I am a people hater.

I don’t have any suggestions. I generally just like stuff that makes you fat. There are many youtubers recommending good places to eat and you can go watch those.

2 Likes

I respect the honesty.

1 Like

A couple of popular places on Dexing East Rd in Tienmu. Usually a line of people outside the one nearer Chungshan North rd, but there’s also one fifty meters further along. I don’t know how authentic good they are but it’s always a nice to have them now and again.

Sure, I like late night restaurants too, but I wouldn’t say that’s really a Taiwanese thing. In my part of Taipei and other parts of Taipei/Taiwan I’ve visited, it’s quite difficult to find restaurants if you’re not in the door before 8:30 or 9 p.m.

Sure, there are exceptions like teppanyaki places, some rechao places, night markets, and some hole-in-the-wall restaurants, but it’s not like there’s a massive range of late night options like there is in Bangkok or KL, say.

It’s enough for me compared to 0 in Europe.

2 Likes

One word: kebabs. :yum:

1 Like

It’s alright but not my go to. I prefer Asian food.

I think kebabs count as Asian, no?

1 Like