Taiwanese food is great!

As yin is to the yang, that is, to this thread: Taiwanese food sucks (https://tw.forumosa.com/t/taiwanese-food-sucks).

Instead of trying to convince that threads’ direction, perhaps we have a thread talking about the good food experiences of Taiwanese cuisine but also food in Taiwan generally speaking (ie. Not just Taiwanese food, but also foreign food in Taiwan such as Japanese, Chinese, American etc). The “Taiwanese food sucks” thread has taken the stance of food in Taiwan, not actual Taiwanese cuisine. So, perhaps, we can maintain that theme here and talk about good food in Taiwan, rather than strictly “Taiwanese food”, which is quite limited and not available everywhere nor to all markets (usually very expensive or rare to find for many).

Let’s try to avoid restaraunt reviews (but allow it) and talk more of dishes, ingredients, quality, flavor and so on. The devil is in the details, let’s hash it out.

4 Likes

The fried chicken is outstanding. I don’t see how anyone can knock it.

5 Likes

Crispy style Danbing is the best breakfast food created by man.

2 Likes

Ever since I moved to Taiwan, I have but lost all interest in food.

I’m trying really hard to participate in this thread in a productive way, but nothing is coming to mind.

For literally every good restaurant I’ve been to here, I can think of a much better equivalent in other countries.

2 Likes

My dinner tonight, local quick fast food for two.

4 Likes

Also I like clam soup, this Penghu style, but mostly Taiwanese/Japanese ones with clams only, some with miso good for this season I like.

Home made, Taiwanese + Brie (not Taiwanese)

7 Likes

Nice, but…

Better than the dumplings in China?

Depends on your taste, also good in Korea, Japan, Lithuania (looks like pork ones in Taiwan)

1 Like

I’m sure it’s delicious, but the red fish (?) looks a bit alienesque.

1 Like

Come on man, that was a rhetorical question.

No Chinese food in Taiwan is better than China.

Ok, sorry, this post belongs in the other thread. Back on topic… oh! The food in Taiwan is so good! Yum!

Country style Hakka food in a farmhouse on the outskirts of Beipu in Hsinchu County.

Eating countryside Taiwanese food up in the lovely Zhuzihu corner of Yangmingshan and after feeling clean fresh air washing my face.

Squid balls, delux seafood balls, and other Fujianese delicacies in K-Town. Also Amis Indigenous treats, notably abai, which I’ve posted about in another thread.

Correctly prepared green onion pancakes, sold cheap and delicious, on Zhongzheng Road in Taitung City.

Fantastic vegetarian Vietnamese spring rolls (the fresh kind, not deep fried) served in a lovely welcoming shop in Yuli in the incomparably beautiful Huadong Valley.

Sunrise and a danbing. :sunrise_over_mountains:

Guy

8 Likes

Looks fine to me, fish head may bother some, others eat it (I do not like the fish head or eyes). Its good, but I next time would choose just the clams, ginger and light greens in the soup.

I love seafood in general and living in Penghu we are lucky enough to have plenty. Freshly caught boiled crab, octopus and fried fish. Plus a personal favourite are the small boiled squid that are sold down at the fish market. Nothing fancy with the cooking but if it’s fresh enough the taste doesn’t need it.

I also really enjoy the seasonality of it. Last year we went down at the start of Tuna season and picked up one.

3 Likes

Looks like the 韭菜 dumplings. Careful when you burp… :sweat_smile:

If you like your food excessively greasy then yes I guess that’s true.

4 Likes

Have you had steamed dumplings in China? Find them greasy did you?

1 Like

I found the stir-fry meat and vegetables dishes in China generally nice and crunchy with a nice smokey aroma, whereas in Taiwan they are generally wet, soggy, and goopy like bad American Chinese food.

(Incidentally, I found that the places in the US that served the worst American Chinese food were operated by Fukienese immigrants. Maybe I just have a problem with Hokkien food.)

Oil and sugar do tend to crisp up the joint!

China clearly is winning this one hands down. Need to pick the battles so to speak: how about competing in the ‘ability to form an orderly que at the food stall’ category: now Taiwan is going to sweep the floor with that one.

3 Likes

I must admit, the Yakiniku I’ve had here (and the sheer availability of it) beats anything I’ve ever seen in any other country where I’ve lived.