Taiwanese food sucks!

I’ve been to Dubu House quite a few times and mostly like it (I find it a good place to treat the in-laws). A few weeks ago I was looking at one of the other places up there that may or may not have a Korean chicken dish that I really liked when I lived in Korea, but I don’t remember the name of the dish! This place serves things on a long platter divided into segments. I didn’t try it because it seemed huge.

For what it’s worth the “deconstructed” bibimbap you had may have been a deliberate fusion effort to try something new. Sometimes those ideas work, sometimes they don’t.

Ha. Best development in food here over the past couple of decades. Vietnamese used to be hard to find. Not anymore!

4 Likes

That is one thing about Vietnamese food, a lot of the dishes let the original ingredients shine, and you often season it yourself. I wish this would catch on in Taiwan.

You appear to be explaining the concept of fusion dining to me.

Readers can decide I suppose, who knows this review may pique someone’s interest. I guess I’m tiring of unconventional, it almost seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception. As you say you’ve had hundreds of conventional versions of bibimbap, so I am clearly ordering it in the wrong places.

Also the wide variety of fresh herbs given for free… In Taiwan its rare to get more than a paltry few bean sprouts and a couple wilted basil leaves.

2 Likes

Flats here in Yuli now apparently going for around NT$8,000,000 a pop. I guess I am not alone!

Guy

1 Like

Taiwan is just getting way too expensive in any half decent place. Ah well.
I recently evualated Hualien city as a place to live but was not too impressed and abandoned the idea. I should have gone further South .

Huh… but I think some Taiwanese food is really good. Maybe just because Taiwanese food is not your cup of tea i guess.

1 Like

???

To whom are you writing?

Guy

All the h8terz…like me.

I mostly agree with this and rarely go to McDonald’s, but the spicy fried chicken at Taiwanese McDonald’s is fab. :+1:

I think the poor quality of McDonald’s here supports the overall argument against food in Taiwan. I used to work at McDonald’s, and have eaten it in many countries for reasons including that I always know what I’m going to get. And yet here, somehow, the food (like nuggets) that is standard everywhere else is terrible. Boggles the mind.

I haven’t tried the spicy fried chicken, but i did try a mcchicken and had to throw it away it was so awful. there’s a signature BLT with australian beef here that i’ll eat, but the standard menu (e.g. big mac) i don’t eat in taiwan.

1 Like

One thing Taiwan does do extremely well are drinks. Those tea and boba stores are excellent

1 Like

I saw a boba/drinks business down the road preparing for opening right during the middle of the Level 3. I thought to myself what gung-ho cashed up entrepreneur starts a business at this time. Then they finished the refurbishment. There is no shop now, just a very pretty wall, and in the centre an automated bubble tea machine. Maybe they will all go like this one day.

1 Like

Mcds adjusts for regional tastes, not standardization around the world. Mostly similar, but the nuggets aren’t even the same in the u.s. and the u.k., nevermind standard around the world.

Edit: found article to support:
https://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/25/a-tale-of-2-nuggets/

So, they’ve adjusted their menu to make it taste terrible in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s you.

The notion that McD is significantly worse or better in certain countries is laughable in itself. You think other people haven’t been to a McD in other countries? :roll:

You guys collectively sound like one of those guests on embarrassing youtube videos where you would give McD a Michelin star if your eyes were covered.

3 Likes

There are like 5 or so regular users here who are extremely vocal about their dislike towards food in Taiwan. They aren’t representative of anyone other than themselves even though they think everyone agrees with them.

2 Likes

I think when people say “Taiwan has good food” they’re not talking about Taiwanese food.

There is good food in Taipei–but it’s Indian, Japanese, South American etc.

2 Likes

Except they might be.

2 Likes