Taiwanese food sucks!

19 posts were split to a new topic: From Taiwanese Food

The Nikkei article linked above didn’t say Korean food was “bad” or “badder”; it said it was “challenging.” And if you are vegetarian or vegan, it is. :slight_smile:

But if you’re doing to choose a foreign correspondents’ hub based on food, why not just all hang out in Tokyo where there is something for pretty much everyone.

Guy

Reads like the author is the latest ‘numba one’ crowd recruit.

1 Like

I wonder if the writer has ever been here :wink:

I think it’s been established that you guys are the minorities here. I advise accepting that and stop being bitter.

1 Like

I would definitely accept more bitterness, at least that is a flavour!

That said, I’ve recently moved to a more food-positive location and my general impression has ticked up slightly

2 Likes

Yeah the key point is find the right places.

Heaps of eateries and random joints in Taiwan are operated by folks who are doing this to stay alive, make a living, not because they are talented, careful, or even competent. After being in Japan, this was very hard to get used to!

It takes a while to find the good guys. When you do, stick to them and support them.

Guy

4 Likes

One other word of wisdom I remember some forumosan posting years ago: ignore what the locals recommend (unless you really trust them), get a copy of a Japanese guidebook to Taiwan, and—if you are able to do so—start checking out those places. :slight_smile:

Guy

3 Likes

I think Taipei has many, many decent options for mid-level type of eating (under 3,000 nt for a family of four- that Bellini Japanese Italian restaurant; a few Japanese curry restaurants; a few Mexican places; a few American barbecue places; a couple of Indian places; a few Hakka, Chinese, Taiwanese places; a few franchises like 1010, Thai Town, etc. ). I really can’t say much about upscale eating because that’s really not my thing. Once or twice a year maybe. Teppanyaki, that lobster and steak French place, sashimi type of places.

But the street food here is nothing I would ever in a million years go out of my way to compliment. I like some of it (mostly just the fried chicken- shien shu ji). But “world-class”? This makes me have serious doubts about the writer.

Did you have a car and like to get out and about ?
That makes a huge difference.
The climate can make things tough here though.

The reality is the author probably just put this to print to try and impress some Taiwanese girl. I would do the same thing, well, back in the day.

Especially the live octopus that sticks to your tongue.

He’s watching from a distance, South Korea.

I make/cook my own food.

its such a winning combination with cold beer as well

1 Like

For the record I don’t even like a lot of the most popular Taiwanese dishes like stinky tofu or pig’s blood cake or ba wan or noodles. Actually I would even say I dislike the majority of those, I just find it stupid to deny the fact that food in Taiwan is famous.

I hate Martin Scorsese’s movies and I hate Leonardo DiCaprio, but I won’t deny that they are very popular as that’s obviously false.

4 Likes

Over the last decade or so there been an explosion of franchises and this to my mind is almost never a good thing. More processed and frozen food, less diversity, less freshness.

It’s getting harder and harder to find a decent sit down family type Chinese restaurant. I especially like waishen places and they are getting really rare.

Literally two independent places on the corner closer, and both became franchise dumpling restaurants. :no_mouth:

And vegetables.
Jesus where did the vegetables go , this year is the worst ever !!!
Many restaurant laboans will tell you they are too expensive and they aren’t even providing them at the moment.

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m late to the thread. Honestly, the only taiwanese food I like is stinky tofu and sometimes shaved ice lol. I’m very specific about where I get both though. Otherwise, they suck. :frowning:

Don’t understand how I gained weight here when everything sucks.

I’d like to know where McDonald’s is food quality food.

“Challenging” sounds like a polite way to say…

Majority of people cannot stomach fermented cabbage.

1 Like